Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Beginner

UCS-C220-M3L plus LSI 9272-8i controller = fan speed 16k rpm

Hello.

I'm trying to use the LSI 9272-8i controller on the Cisco UCS-C220-M3L server (fully updated with ucs-c220-huu-3.0.3e.iso).
The server in its CIMC checks the controller and turns on a very high fan speed (16-17k rpm), because the controller issues a temperature of 255 degrees Celsius on the ROC, but in fact the controller is still cold.
I check the temperature of the controller using the LSI StorCLI utility and get also 255 degrees (storcli /c0 show all). I have five of those controllers, and they all show the same heat. I understand that this is a controller problem, but updating the firmware on it to the latest version (23.34.0-0019) is without result.

So can I somehow turn off the RAID-controller temperature check in the CIMC?

4 REPLIES 4
Beginner

Re: UCS-C220-M3L plus LSI 9272-8i controller = fan speed 16k rpm

Hi.

I have the same problem with this card on Cisco UCS C240 M3.

Did you find any solution?

Highlighted
Cisco Employee

Can you confirm the controller is 9272 and not 9271. I do not see 9272 on the spec sheet, so CIMC is most likely not recognizing the card and spinning the fans up as a safety precaution to cool the server.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/servers-unified-computing/ucs-c-series-rack-servers/c220m3-lff-specsheet.pdf

Beginner

Yes it's 9272, it's the same controller and the same chip that is in 9271, it is it's oem for NEC. I also flash to card firmware from 9271 and have the same problem.

CIMC recognize it, i can make raid and virtual drives from CIMC. Only one problem - CIMC read 255C temp on chip from controller, so all fans run at 16K rpm... But server and controller works correctly.

I know that it's not Cisco problem, but i have problems with my small homelab and try to find the decision.

P.S.

Sorry for my bad English.

Cisco Employee

When Cisco puts items on the spec sheet, it is after evaluating many aspects of equipment especially including manageability.

While the 9272 may have a similar core ROC chip on it, it may be missing other features that Cisco worked out with LSI/Broadcom including customized firmware.

Like Wes says, the 9272 wasn't QA'd or tested by Cisco, so the CIMC isn't going to have all the cooling and power profiles for the unknown card, and runs the fans in max warp  mode in order to accommodate a maximum cooling requirement scenario.

Kirk...

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
August's Community Spotlight Awards