Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS C220 M4 rack server extremely noisy

Javier Conejo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am preparing a UCS C220 M4 with windows 2012 for a client.

The server is extremely noisy, I mean much more than any other rack server  I have ever seen.

All the fan are working at highest speed rate as if the server had to urgently cool down.

The question is: Is this normal ? Is the server broken ? Is there an option to lower the "fan-policy".

And how is this done.

Best regards,

Javier Conejo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

richbarb
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Javier,

Do you have just one cpu?

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCur74936

Richard

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

richbarb
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Javier,

Do you have just one cpu?

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCur74936

Richard

Yes, only one CPU.

The bug seems to be reported, but with no solution yet it seems.

I will try what Kenny is proposing !

Thanks !

Javier Conejo

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

The fan policy can be lowered if you go to the Server> Power Policies> Fan Policy.

Here is the explanation for each option:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/sw/gui/config/guide/1.5/b_Cisco_UCS_C-series_GUI_Configuration_Guide.151_chapter_011.html#concept_8CB787DF70304E98BE25D120466418B9

• Balanced This is the default policy. This setting can cool almost any server configuration, but may not be suitable for servers with PCIe cards, since these cards overheat easily.
  • Performance This setting can be used for server configurations where maximum fan speed is required for high performance. With this setting, the fan speeds will run at the same speed or higher speed than that of the Balanced fan policy.
  • Low Power This setting is ideal for minimal configuration servers that do not contain any PCIe cards.
  • High Power This setting can be used for server configurations that require fan speeds ranging from 60 to 85%. This policy is ideal for servers that contain PCIe cards that easily overheat and have high temperatures. The minimum fan speed set with this policy varies for each server platform, but is approximately in the range of 60 to 85%.
  • Maximum Power This setting can be used for server configurations that require extremely high fan speeds ranging between 70% to 100%. This policy is ideal for servers that contain PCIe cards that easily overheat and have extremely high temperatures. The minimum fan speed set with this policy varies for each server platform, but is approximately in the range of 70 to 100%.

There are still some PCIe cards that cannot be monitored and cause the policy to be "ignored" so the server can be kept cool (I'm not saying that is your issue, I am just mentioning it)

Open  an SSH session and enter the commands:

"connect debug-shell"

"sensors"

Paste the output here for the FAN sensors (they will have the word "FAN" on it)

Be sure you air flow is not blocked at all by doors or cables.

-Kenny

I just tried this and it works. Thanks.

But It is a BUG of the server, so the second answer is also correct.

This is really a bug since the server only has one CPU and no added PCI cards, just the two that come with it. The LAN and the Raid.

The balanced fan policy is suposed to work from sensors, and I had to change it to low power manually.

Regards,

Javier Conejo

thanks for coming back with the feedback, that will certainly help future users as well.  I am glad we were able to help.

-Kenny

I had the same problem. solved adjusting the Fan Policy to "low power"

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card