Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS C220 M5 - M.2 SWRAID Error

Bang Le
Level 1
Level 1

Dear guys,

I am having a trouble with Cisco UCS C220 M5. When I  boot to CIMC, there is an error as picture "M.2 SWRAID configuration is not detected". I tried "Load Manufacturing default" but it did not work.

Please help me. Thanks a lotphoto6339182871050299543.jpg

11 Replies 11

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Do you have the M.2 controller installed? If so, I would reseat it and ensure the drive and controller are both secured on the motherboard.

Yes, there is a M.2 controller with 2 SSDs on the motherboard. I tried reattached (or reseated) it but it still did not work. 

Additionally, when I tried installing RHEL, the server recognized 2 SSDs and no RAID. So I think the error come from the absence of Embedded Software Raid Controller. Do you have any ideas about this error?

Just to confirm, you have hit the <cntl> + M during post, for the megaraidSR config, and actually created a raid 1 virtual drive?

I've seen your exact same message for a new server out of the box that has no config for the embedded megaSR controller completed yet.

Kirk...

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I already created a raid 1 virtual drive last week. And I want to test the "mirroring" of raid 1 so I change the position of 2 SSDs in raid module :)). And after that, the error appear. 

This is my first question in this forum so maybe you mistake me with someone :))

Check in BIOS if the SW RAID is enabled. 

Step 1 Boot the server and press F2 when prompted to enter the BIOS Setup utility.

Step 2 Choose the Advanced tab, and then choose Mass Storage Controllers Configuration .

Step 3 Set Onboard SATA Controller to Enabled .

Step 4 Set SATA Mode to SW RAID .

Step 5 Press F10 to save your changes and exit the utility.

Once you confirm that SW RAID is enabled launch the LSI Software RAID Setup Utility

Press Ctrl-M during verbose boot, and re-configure RAID. 

I have the same problem.  If you find a solution, please post it.  Regards.

I did reseat the controller and cables.  still facing same issue(s).

SteveSnow71217
Level 1
Level 1

Have a new Cisco C220 M5 Server...  Getting the same thing.

Can create the Virtual Drive within CIMC.

I get the error message on re-boot.

When trying to install OS, it will not list the drive to install.  Trying to install driver will not work either.

When going into BIOS, there is no Mass Storage Controllers Option in the Advanced Tab

I cannot get into the megaraidSR config ... No CTRL- M option.

Not sure how to make this work.

I am remoting into the server. logging into CIMC and launching KVM.

Boot Mode is Legacy.

What am I missing?

Did you ever resolve this? I am facing the same issue.

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Did some digging on this issue. The message:

M.2 SWRAID configuration is not detected. Switching to AHCI mode.

Is displayed when:

1. The M.2 controller is not detected. (Why Wes asked to physically reseat as unseating is a common issue.)
  2. The M.2 controller does not detect a disk in Slot 1 or Slot 2.
  3. sSATA is disabled.

For Linux specifically the M5 storage admin guide explicitly states both controllers must be in SWRAID mode.

If you use an embedded RAID controller with Linux, both the pSATA and the sSATA controller must be set to LSI SW RAID mode. 

Boot mode is Legacy. Note the storage admin guide also states:

For the secondary sSATA controller, select M.2 and then choose one of the options from the dialog:

LSI SW RAID—Enable the embedded sSATA RAID controller for control of internal SATA M.2 drives.
    Note  	

This menu option does not appear when the server is set to boot in Legacy mode (UEFI mode is required). 
To change the boot mode, use the BIOS setting for Boot Options > Boot Mode.

I would:

1. Make sure the controller is well seated.
  2. Verify OS (or BIOS) sees both M.2.
  3. Verify sSATA setting in CIMC/BIOS.
  4. Change from Legacy BIOS to UEFI mode.
  5. Upgrade firmware. (Noticed some of these BIOS were somewhat old and your issue may be resolved in newer firmware).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card