cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS C220 not recognizing LSI 9266 MegaRaid card

jinewman
Level 1
Level 1

I just received a new UCS c220 with a seperate LSI 9266 MegaRaid card. I have installed the card adn connected the SAS cables and BBU.  When I start the server it doesn't recogize the card.  If go into CIMC the card is not listed.  I have changed the SAS cables and resetted them all several times. I have resetted the card several times.  I have not changed any of the settings yet so I may be missing something there that will make it recongize the card but I have followed all available instructions as well.  Any thoughts on what I could be missing?

16 Replies 16

abbharga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi James,

Since this card was not installed on the server from mfg, which slot (PCI) did you install this adapter on? Is it on slot 2?

./Abhinav

Yes I have it installed in PCIe2 per the instructions.  It won't fit in PCIe1 anyway .  I have also looked up the LSI card specs to make sure I have the cables correctly attached.  See attached images for configuration in BIOS as Robert suggests and evidence of cabling and PCI location.

Thanks for the assist.

James,

You may also see here for further information and use it as a check list ot make sure you are not missing anything:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C220/install/raid.html#wp1020431

Check on RAID Controller Cabling & Cisco UCS C220 Server Cabling

Also, if you happen to have another controller and another set of cables, you may rule out a hardware failure, as well.  Just to be sure.

-Kenny

I just ordered new cables.  I will also order a new controller just to check.  I have the cabling completed correctly, so I am not sure what the issue is.  If I change the setting on the server to look for the onboard SCU it states it sees the LSI Software Raid controller but no drives, etc. because I have the 900G SAS drives in the server which the SW version doesn't support anyway.  Again, the controller didn't come preinstalled so I had to install it.  Anyway, I will keep trying.

THx...

James,

During BIOS POST, what do you see?

I mean, can you do Ctrl + H and get to the controller ?

Do you see the disk list during POST?

If not too much trouble, is it ok to post the POST screen shots here?

You may also open a TAC case, as well.

-Kenny

I can't do the Ctrl + H to get the controller.  I will grab the POST screens and post them here.

Thx

Go figure.  I just rebooted the machine and got the "BIOS FLASH IMAGE CORRUPTED" error.  Ugh.  Let me fix that first then I will send the POST images. 

Sorry for the delay.  Here are the POST captures.

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

James,

Abi's right.  Go into the BIOS and ensure the PCIe Slots Option ROMs are enabled.

BIOS - Advanced - LOM and PCIe Slots Configuraiton. 

Reboot and your MegaRAID card should show at the bottom of the screen above under the PCIe Slots Inventory.

If it still doesn't work, double check you have it cabled correctl/securely.

Regards,

Robert

Zaira Vega
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

James,

How many CPUs are installed on the server?

If there is just one, you can't use the PCIe slot 2, you would have to get a bracket to mount the LSI card on the SLOT1.

Check the PCIe section here, on page 25:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps10265/ps10493/C220M3_SFF_SpecSheet.pdf

Regards.

Zaria - I do have 2 CPUs installed.  I am opening a TAC case because I think it is a problem with the card.  It just doesn't even see the card at all. 

Thanks for the idea though.

Hi james ,

I am also facing the same problem with ucs 250. which having two cpu . Same error occured with me.

Any one has idea to resolve it?

Sorry for the delay.  For me the problem was the card.  I did and RMA on the card the the new one worked right away.

Hope that helps.

Thx.....

I am having the same problem, waiting for RMA on controller, is there a widespread issue with this controller model?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card