cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS C240 CPU without frame

JoshWale
Level 1
Level 1

Need to replace a CPU on a UCS C240 M4 server as per https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C240M4/install/C240M4/replace.html#45480.

However, the CPU that was delivered doesn't have the CPU plastic frame. 

So I'm not able to place it in the server.

This is the old CPU.

CPU_bracket.jpg

Can the CPU be removed from the bracket without damaging it.

Or which part should I order to make the CPU usable.

8 Replies 8

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The M5s have a carrier called CPU Carrier: UCS-M5-CPU-CAR=, but I don't recall anything similar for the M4s.

The CPUs always came in a carrier, so if you sourced a CPU outside of the normal channels, you may not have too many options.

Does it look like the existing M4 CPU will come out of it's carrier?

Kirk...

Hello Kirk,

This is the CPU as received.(Pic below)-No plastic frame. 

The part number is UCS-CPU-E52620D-RF

New.jpg

Hi,

On this "Does it look like the existing M4 CPU will come out of it's carrier?"

Were you asking whether could be removed from the carrier. I had attempted to, but with on success. 

Is there a guide to the removal of it & reinstall.

Those CPUs were always sold with the carrier/frame in place, so there was never a need to source the plastic carrier, and as such,  no process defined to remove or replace them.

Sorry, can't be of more help...

Kirk...

Hi Kirk,

Would it be posible to install the CPU in the socket without the plastic frame/carrier?

I recall having run across a forum question for HP DL series server, where a customer had exact same question, and managed to remove the processor, and carefully aligned the bare CPU in the sytemboard slot.

Please keep in mind I would not try this on a in-warranty server (i.e. you don't have anything to loose, and server wouldn't work otherwise)

Gotta throw the disclaimer out there, that this is definitely not a Cisco TAC/Support condoned process

Kirk...

EvilEmpire99
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Josh

Were you able to install the new CPUs without the plastic frame? I'm in the same situation.

ted4q
Level 1
Level 1

I have two spare carriers, let me know if anyone wants them.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card