Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS C240 M3 "No Hard Drive Found"

Hi everyone.

I have a UCS C240 M3 for a demo with the following hardware.

UCS C240 M3 SFF2  1xE5-2609 1x8GB   ROM55 2x650W SD RAILS

SMARTNET 8X5XNBD UCS C240 M3 S2   Server-SFF

2.4 GHz E5-2609/80W 4C/10MB Cache/DDR3 1066MHz

8GB DDR3-1600-MHz RDIMM/PC3-12800/dual   rank/1.35v

Power Cord 250VAC 10A CEE 7/7 Plug EU

UCS 2.5 inch HDD blanking panel

Heat Sink for UCS C240 M3 Rack Server

Full height PCIe filler for C-Series

Half height PCIe filler for UCS

650W power supply for C-series rack   servers

Embedded SW RAID 0/1/10/5 8 ports   SAS/SATA

2U Rail Kit for UCS C-Series servers

16GB SD Card Module for C240 Servers

In adittion these HD.

300GB 6Gb SAS 10K RPM SFF HDD/hot plug/drive sled mounted x 2

I have pluged the HDs to the 1 and 2 bay but the system tell me "Not Hard Drive Found" so it doesn't permit me any RAID configuration.

Every LED on the HD and the Server is green so everything aparently is ok.

The firmware is 1.4(6)

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Best Regards

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

Please check whether cables are connecting embedded RAID controller and correct ports on the back plane.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C240/install/raid.html#wp1017441

What happens when you boot into option ROM of the RAID controller ? Does it recognizes the HDDs ?

Padma

View solution in original post

If your C240 is using the onboard SW RAID controller, ESXi will not be able to "see" the volume. 

The only supported RAID controllers for use with ESX are the UCS SAS 2008M-8i mezz or PCIe MegaRAID Controllers

See Appendix C in the Hardware Installation Guide.

Robert

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

For C240 M3 with embedded RAID controller to support SAS hard disks, you need to install " SCU Upgrade ROM Module "

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C240/install/raid.html#wp1022540

If you have installed this option ROM chip for SAS support, then make sure that Embedded RAID controller is enabled in BIOS.

HTH

Padma

HI

Thanks for the answer.

Yes, the SCU upgrade is connected to the motherboard (a small card) and the "Onboard SCU Storage Support" is Enabled on the Bios.

Any other idea to troubleshoot this?.

Edit: I have change the HD to the bay 13 and 14 and now the Raid detect the HD

May be is a Hardware problem

Thank you.

Regards

Hello,

Please check whether cables are connecting embedded RAID controller and correct ports on the back plane.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C240/install/raid.html#wp1017441

What happens when you boot into option ROM of the RAID controller ? Does it recognizes the HDDs ?

Padma

Yes exactly, it says "Not Hard Devices found".

Now they are detected and I can create a virtual drive. It is a C240 with 24 bays, but I see the board which connected the bays to the motherboard is for 16 bays. But I connected the HDs a one of the 16 bays. Anyway This server is borrowed and just for a temporal instalation now it is working in others bays.

Another problem is

I have created a new ARRAY with the 2 HD in RAID 1. I have checked this several times and is in RAID 1

But the VSphere is detectingi the HDs individualy instead of just one volume for create a new storage.

How can I configure the HDs in RAID 1 on VSphere?

Thank you.

Regards

Hello,

ESXi will not be able to create RAID array.

Can you please provide screen shot of RAID configuration from RAID controller menu ?

Padma

If your C240 is using the onboard SW RAID controller, ESXi will not be able to "see" the volume. 

The only supported RAID controllers for use with ESX are the UCS SAS 2008M-8i mezz or PCIe MegaRAID Controllers

See Appendix C in the Hardware Installation Guide.

Robert

There is an added wrinkle with a single CPU C240M3. CPU1 has Quick Path Interconnect connections only to PCIe riser 1 (the 3 slot on the edge of the chassis). CPU2 has QPI connections only to PCIe riser 2 (the middle 2 slot riser) and to the mezzanie position. There is no way for a single CPU C240M3 to access the middle riser or mezzanine adapter.

With a single CPU, your only ESXi supported option is a LSI 9265 PCIe controller installed in riser 1.

If you go that route, make sure you go into BIOS - PCIe/LOM options (last item in advanced) and make sure the OptionROM is enabled for the slot you put the PCIs card into.

Dave

Yes, The server just has a 1 CPU.

I set every PCIe SlotIDs and the LOM Ports to enable but it still no working

I'm using a PCIe MegaRAID Controllers.... I think

I have attached some screanshots

Thank you

Waldo,

See my ealier post.  If you using the onboard raid controller (BIOS setting for Mass Storage Controller to "SW RAID") then its NOT compatible with  ESX.  I can see from your sales order at the top it's the "embedded" RAID controller (aka onboard).

Robert

Sorry I didn't see your post.

Yes, you are absolutely right.

NoteVMware ESX/ESXi or any other virtualized environments are not supported for use with the embedded MegaRAID controller. Hypervisors such as Hyper-V, Xen, or KVM are also not supported for use with the embedded MegaRAID controller.

Mistery Resolve to me.

This is for a CUCM. To support any redundancy I'm going to install virtual machines (Pub and Sub) and assign one of each to a HD.

Thank you

Best Regards

Robert Burns escribió:

Waldo,

See my ealier post.  If you using the onboard raid controller (BIOS setting for Mass Storage Controller to "SW RAID") then its NOT compatible with  ESX.  I can see from your sales order at the top it's the "embedded" RAID controller (aka onboard).

Robert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: