Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS C420M3 server with VIC 1225 , Cant see LOM ethernet ports

mazhar mahadik
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guyz,

we have C420M3 server with VIC 1225 connected on PCIe slot, with Fabric Interconnet.

After installing OS & drivers , vNICs created on VIC 1225 by service profile appear, but 4 gig ports on Server LOM dont appear.

Any Idea.?

Thank

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you integrate your rack server to UCSM, you will be able to use the LOM ports ONLY for Mgmt traffic, that is when you integrate the server in "Dual Wire Mode".

There is no need (unless you have one for an special reason I am not considering in this very moment) to use the LOM ports once you have integrated the server, precisely cause the VIC 1225 is a not a regular NIC card, nor a regular HBA, it is actually a CNA (Converged Network Adapter) which basically lets you do in one card, what you would do with two (meaning "what you would do with a separate NIC and HBA")

When you have a VIC card, you actually have the option to create up to 256 virtual interfaces (that's the capability of the hardware, always limited by the OS used, please keep that in mind), that is the reason why, after the server is integrated, you totally depend on the interfaces set in the Service Profile instead of the physical interfaces.

Find more info here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/interfaces-modules/unified-computing-system-adapters/models-comparison.html

Do you have a particular reason for using the LOM ports instead of creating 2 additional virtual interfaces in the Server's Service Profile?

-Kenny

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

Hello,

What method did you use to integrate the server to UCSM? Direct Attach (no FEXs are used), Single Mode (only the VIC card is used to integrate to UCSM) or Dual Mode (LOM ports connect to FEXs and VIC card ports connect to Fabric Interconnect) ?

-Kenny

Hi ,

Yes we have direct attach, VIC 1255 ports from server directly connected to Fabric Interconnect in cluster. we dont have FEX ( Nexus 2K)

& LOM ports connected to External Ethernet Switch.

I think this is not a supported configuration. MLOM ports cannot be connected outside UCS fabric; this would require an additional I/O adaptor.

• SingleConnect (Sideband): Using Network Controller Sideband Interface (NC-SI), Cisco UCS VIC1225 Virtual Interface Card (VIC) connects one cable that can carry both data traffic and management traffic. This feature is referred to as SingleConnect. For more information, see SingleConnect.
  • Direct Connect Mode: Cisco UCS Manager release version 2.2 introduces an additional rack server management mode using direct connection to the Fabric Interconnect.

Thanks for you replies Kenney & Wdey,

So how do i connect in my case , to get both adapters in OS.

where i have VIC 1225 , C420 & i want to use LOM ports in OS along with vNics created by VIC1225.

Thanks

If you integrate your rack server to UCSM, you will be able to use the LOM ports ONLY for Mgmt traffic, that is when you integrate the server in "Dual Wire Mode".

There is no need (unless you have one for an special reason I am not considering in this very moment) to use the LOM ports once you have integrated the server, precisely cause the VIC 1225 is a not a regular NIC card, nor a regular HBA, it is actually a CNA (Converged Network Adapter) which basically lets you do in one card, what you would do with two (meaning "what you would do with a separate NIC and HBA")

When you have a VIC card, you actually have the option to create up to 256 virtual interfaces (that's the capability of the hardware, always limited by the OS used, please keep that in mind), that is the reason why, after the server is integrated, you totally depend on the interfaces set in the Service Profile instead of the physical interfaces.

Find more info here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/interfaces-modules/unified-computing-system-adapters/models-comparison.html

Do you have a particular reason for using the LOM ports instead of creating 2 additional virtual interfaces in the Server's Service Profile?

-Kenny

Hi Kenny.

well i was trying to put hyper-v mgmt & vmotion traffic  on physical nics via different network switch.

& Data traffic on Vic1225 vNICs via FI.

Thanks for your in-depth explanation.

Always my pleasure...  If you are trying to put your NICs in different switches upstream, then try a "Static pinning" of your vNIC to an specific uplink port in the Fabric Interconnect and plug that cable in the desired switch, that way you still don't need the LOM ports  :)

Have a cool day!

-Kenny

see also the discussions in

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12044856/nic-teaming-w2012

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11956156/w2012-nic-teaming-lbfo

Walter.

Hey thanks Wdey for sharing that. that helps.

That is the reason why you cannot see those ports, whit direct attach the only vNICs you will see will be those created in the service profile through the VIC card.

-Kenny

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card