Thanks much

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Frank

This is challenging, why ?

- Registering a UCS domain, doesn't support DHCP for obvious reasons.

- You cannot change or swap the IP addresses used by Cisco UCS Manager in a domain that is registered with Cisco UCS Central. If you need to change or swap that IP address, you must first unregister the domain from Cisco UCS Central. You can reregister the Cisco UCS domain after you have changed or swapped the IP address.

- If you use a hostname rather than an IP address, you must configure a DNS server. If the Cisco UCS domain is not registered with Cisco UCS Central or DNS management is set to local, configure a DNS server in Cisco UCS Manager. If the Cisco UCS domain is registered with Cisco UCS Central and DNS management is set to global, configure a DNS server in Cisco UCS Central.

So maybe if you used a DNS host name, instead of a IP address to register a UCS domain, you could change the IP address in DNS (and the IP address in UCS Central).  Question is: how can you enforce UCS Manager to do a DNS lookup, and pick the changed IP address. Deregister / register is not the solution.

Summary: I don't think there is a decent solution.

Walter.

View solution in original post

Yes, I understand ! But changing the IP address of UCS Central also requires a change of every registered UCS domain !

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Frank

This is challenging, why ?

- Registering a UCS domain, doesn't support DHCP for obvious reasons.

- You cannot change or swap the IP addresses used by Cisco UCS Manager in a domain that is registered with Cisco UCS Central. If you need to change or swap that IP address, you must first unregister the domain from Cisco UCS Central. You can reregister the Cisco UCS domain after you have changed or swapped the IP address.

- If you use a hostname rather than an IP address, you must configure a DNS server. If the Cisco UCS domain is not registered with Cisco UCS Central or DNS management is set to local, configure a DNS server in Cisco UCS Manager. If the Cisco UCS domain is registered with Cisco UCS Central and DNS management is set to global, configure a DNS server in Cisco UCS Central.

So maybe if you used a DNS host name, instead of a IP address to register a UCS domain, you could change the IP address in DNS (and the IP address in UCS Central).  Question is: how can you enforce UCS Manager to do a DNS lookup, and pick the changed IP address. Deregister / register is not the solution.

Summary: I don't think there is a decent solution.

Walter.

Thanks for your reply..what I meant is ip change of the ucs central appliance.

Cheers

Yes, I understand ! But changing the IP address of UCS Central also requires a change of every registered UCS domain !

I'm having this issue with re-ip'ing a UCS Instance.

Such an onerous solution. I appreciate that validating the UCSM instance that is registered is important, but not providing a simple non-disruptive option for IP change that doesn't affect the Domain location seems shortsighted.

Can anyone comment on this option to save having to localize all the policies, then have it orphaned?

1. Log into the UCSM GUI and go to the Admin tab.
  2. Go to UCS Central on the left-pane tree.
  3. Change the Communication Services radio button from Global to Local, and then click Save Changes.
  4. Change cluster IPs on the Management Interfaces screen.
    1. Your GUI session will disconnect because of the change.
  5. Log back into the UCSM GUI, change the Communication Services radio button back to Global, and then click Save Changes.
  6. Log into UCS Central and validate the new cluster IP.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card