Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS Chassis Not Recognized

taelon_x7
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am having a strange issue with a new UCS environment that we just brought online. One of the four UCS chassis had an issue with its firmware upgrade, specifically the IO module. All of the other componants on all of the other UCS chassis upgraded just fine but these two IO modules hung during the firmware upgrade. I tried to downgrade the firmware on all of the other componants to match the hung IO modules to see if they would come back online and they did not. I also moved the IO modules into a known working chassis and they worked after an auto-upgrade of the firmware! I then swapped them back to their original chassis thinking that they would be ok but they went down again, stating a communication problem and the 6140 reported them as being link-down. I restarted the entire chassis and also swapped the uplink cables and still they show offline. As a last ditch effort I deleted the entire chassis and went back to re-add it and now it will not even detect the chassis.

I know that the IO modules are fine because I can put them in another chassis and they will come up but as soon I put them back in their original chassis, the 6140's report the link as being down and it will not recognize the chassis. Does this sound like a hardware issue with the chassis itself? Any ideas?

7 Replies 7

rewilkin
Level 1
Level 1

It does, you said you de-com the chassis, is that right? Make sure you decommission the chassis and re- ack it so the fex's and blade slots are all discovered again.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Yes, I re-acknowledged the chassis and it has not come back. Also, it's server ports are showing link down and the fans on that chassis are blowing at 100%.

Can you try using the cables from your "good" Chassis on the failing one?

I'd suggest you completely power down the bad chassis.  Take the cables from a good chassis, move them over, then power the bad Chassis back up.

If this doesn't work let me know.  Also ensure your Chassis discovery policy is set to 1 link for now.

Robert

Ok, I tried that this morning, took the cables from a good one and swapped them to the bad one and then powered off the chassis and back on by pulling the power plugs. The chassis is still not being recognized in UCS Manager and the fans are running at 100%.

As per your statement it seems problem resides in I/O modules. Please swap the I/O module from good one this chasis.

Ram.

Yes, I have already tried that. See first post.

The customer's chassis was replaced in this case, and this enabled it to be discovered properly by UCSM.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card