Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS E140 with VMware 5.5

I am working on a router replacement project (currently in lab on my desk) that will use a E140S M2 single width blade and using VMware ESXi 5.5 as the host OS.  This will run a Windows guest os's (AD DS few other utility servers) for a branch office setup.

There are two external interfaces and two internal internal interfaces.

Listed in the E140 documentaton as follows

1 Routers PCI slot/0/0  = ucse1/0/0 internal

2 Routers PCI slot/0/1  = ucse1/0/1 internal

3 Management external and dedicated.  (I am using this as the dedicated CIMC NIC)

4 (N/A in my case as it is in double wide slot)

5 GE2 external.  In my case it is used as the ESXi management IP.

From vSphere client I can see and have added NIC 1/2 as vmnics as aVM standard switch screen shot included

The guest windows os is installed (vmxnet3/vmtools etc), but there is no communication out the two vmnics.

Router interface config 

interface ucse1/0/0 and ucse1/0/1
 ip unnumbered GigabitEthernet0/0/0
 no negotiation auto
 switchport mode trunk
 no mop enabled
 no mop sysid

I have search but not finding much.  First here then TAC.

1 Reply 1

I was close and most of the config I needed was in the documentation that I just missed.  The section I needed was 'Creating an Ethernet Virtual Circuit Between the E-Series Server and the Cisco ISR 4000 Series Using a Non-Native VLAN'  

What was also missed and I did not see in the this section was that I needed add the vlan to the router like it was a switch.  I added sub interfaces and the encap dot1q etc but not the actual vlan to create the vlan database.  (old school router thinking vs. switch thinking I guess)

You also need to enter a static route pointing to for the IP of the VM that points to the BDI interface.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/e/2-0/gs/guide/b_2_0_Getting_Started_Guide/b_2_0_Getting_Started_Guide_chapter_01001.html#task_723D804E610F403E8F7675961F1C928A

Also note that I was not able to get both of the internal NIC's to work in a load balanced or failover mode in ESXi.  I will try a few other options.  When I admin shutdown the active ucse interface ESXi did not see the link go down so it did not fail to the second interface.  The ESX beacon feature needs to have more that two interfaces to be of use so that didn't work either.

interface ucse1/0/0
 no ip address
 no negotiation auto
 switchport mode trunk
 no mop enabled
 no mop sysid
 service instance 1 ethernet
  encapsulation dot1q 2
  rewrite egress tag push dot1q 2
  bridge-domain 2

interface BDI2
 ip unnumbered GigabitEthernet0/0/0.2