Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS error accessing shared storage F0863

WHindriks
Level 1
Level 1

L.S.,

Since a couple of days the following error has been popping up in the event log (it clears after a while).

<eventRecord affected="sys/mgmt-entity-A" cause="device-shared-storage-IO-error" changeSet="" childAction="deleteNonPresent" code="E4196535" created="2011-11-21T12:40:02.607" descr="device FOX1509GYHQ, error accessing shared-storage" dn="event-log/1093899" id="1093899" ind="state-transition"  severity="critical"  trig="oper" txId="1483796" user="internal"/>

This occures about 8 times a day.

I'm running 2 6120XPs on firmware 2.0(1q).

Any suggestions?

30 Replies 30

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Do you receive the error message for all three chassis or for only one chassis that repeats itself ?

As you observed, the faults appears and clears after a while. It is harmless message and this behavior is documented here

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCtu17144

Even though it is documented as a defect, it is rather a limitation of hardware of having reliable communication between IOM and SEEPROM in the chassis backplane.

You can try the following work around and verify the behavior

(1) Unplug the IO module.
(2) Replug in the IO module. Make sure the module is in contact with the backplane firmly.
(3) Reboot the IO module.

HTH

Padma

Hi Padma,

Thanks for your reply.

The alert is only raised against a single device.

I will try the suggested workaround next time I'm at the datacentre and let you know the result.

Kind regards,

Wouter Hindriks

Hello Wouter,

I also met this issue too. I want to know did you fix this issue? And how to do it?

Hello Padma,

I must to make sure one thing. For this issue have any impact for the UCS? Because we had too many production service running on.

The error message please follow in the below. Thank you!

Best regards,

Meng-Yuan Hsieh (Nick)

Im doing an initial install and had this error come up.  I rebooted the Chassis and it disappeared.

the error is F0864

MENG YUAN HSIEH
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

Our UCSM version is 2.0(2q), thank you!

Meng-Yuan Hsieh (Nick)

Hello Nick,

The error message indicates IOM had an issue in accessing SEEPROM in the chassis backplane.

The error message and the condition is not service impacting.However, we have made several improvements around this topic and would recommend to upgrade UCS to latest 2.0 version.

Padma

We're currently running 2.1(1a) but the issue still remains. However I have not noticed any impact on the enviroment.

Hi Wouter,

Did you try the following step?

(1) Unplug the IO module.

(2) Replug in the IO module. Make sure the module is in contact with the backplane firmly.

(3) Reboot/Reset the IO module.

Best regards,

Meng-Yuan Hsieh (Nick)

Hello Nick,

Reseating IOM might help if it is not correctly placed into chassis.

However the message is cosmetic and upgrade to latest version when you can.

Padma

Hi Padma,

Thank's for your reply.

After I reference the Wouter's reply. Upgrade the version to the latest version 2.1(1a) might not solve the issue.

So. For reduce system downtime. I don't think so the upgrade to the latest version is a good idea. Sorry. But I still need a way to solve this issue. Because too many syslog like this will effect our environment operation.

Best regards,

Meng-Yuan Hsieh (Nick)

Hello Nick,

There could be several reasons on why system generates that error message.

Upgrade was recommended as there are several software enhancements on this area.

I would request you and Wouter to open TAC service request with UCSM and Chassis tech support ( SN of Chassis that is reported in error message )

Padma

Hi Padma

I read in  some blogs the it could be related with bug CSCtu17144... We are receiveing this messages on UCS System running 2.0.(1t) version.

Do you have updated info about this issue??? 

Thanks in advance...

Daniel HM

Hello Daniel,

I would suggest you to open a TAC service request to narrow down the cause of this error message.

It could be faulty hardware or known issues in our software that are fixed in latest version of software.

Padma

yuvalba
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are having the same issue.

I was wondering if you can share how it was resolved by you?

Thanks

Yuval

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: