Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS error accessing shared storage F0863

WHindriks
Level 1
Level 1

L.S.,

Since a couple of days the following error has been popping up in the event log (it clears after a while).

<eventRecord affected="sys/mgmt-entity-A" cause="device-shared-storage-IO-error" changeSet="" childAction="deleteNonPresent" code="E4196535" created="2011-11-21T12:40:02.607" descr="device FOX1509GYHQ, error accessing shared-storage" dn="event-log/1093899" id="1093899" ind="state-transition"  severity="critical"  trig="oper" txId="1483796" user="internal"/>

This occures about 8 times a day.

I'm running 2 6120XPs on firmware 2.0(1q).

Any suggestions?

30 Replies 30

Hi,

Unfortunately I have not been able to resolve the issue.

We're now on firmware 2.1(1a).

Kind regards,

Wouter Hindriks

And you are just living with it? you did not find any impact related to the error?

We are having this error with 2.1(2a), and few days ago also started having real problems with Storage access and with one of the IOM's, not sure if it's related though...

Yuval

Just an update:

Our problem was not related to this error message.

I was also told by TAC engineer that it can be ignored and that it's still being investigated.

He suggested re-seating the IOM cards as a workaround, but I would not expect it to help...

We're not experiencing any negative impact from this error. Reseating the IOMs did not resolve the issue.

Hi,

If this thread did not help solve the issue you are currently facing with this error message, you better open a TAC case as suggested above in this same chain.

-Kenny

Here's some interesting info. I am also having this issue.

SCOM 2012 has been reporting F0863 as an Informational since my Keyring cert expired.

I just regenerated the cert and now for the first time F0863 shows up as a Warning.

+Tony

MENG YUAN HSIEH
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I found a bug "CSCue49366". It looks similar this problem. And this bug has been resolved in 2.1(1f). Have anyone try this update?

Best regards,

Meng-Yuan Hsieh (Nick)

It seems that the bug was re-opened and is still unresolved, as appears here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/release/notes/UCS_28313.html

Defect ID
Symptom
Workaround
First Bundle Affected

CSCue49366

Symptoms include transient UCSM faults related to a shared UCS Chassis  I2C devices, such as a fan module, PSU, or the shared storage located in  the UCS Chassis SEEPROM. These faults may include the terms "fan  inoperable", "PSU", or "shared storage".

The detailed or brief tech-support command shows the chassis segment norxack count is high and increasing (hundreds or thousands depending on IOM uptime).

This high rate of i2c access errors shows that the IOM is not backing  off of the shared I2C bus for the required amount of time. As a result  one or both of the IOMs are interfering with each other's access to  shared I2C resources and neither may be able to get useful work done.

This issue has no known workaround if uninterrupted high-availability service is desired.

If non-redundant operation is tolerable, you could pull one IOM from the chassis.

Powering down the entire chassis for 3 minutes and re-applying power may clear the condition in the short-term.

2.1(1a)B

The bug tool kit show the problem has been resolved in 2.1(1f). I did not seen the problem have been re-open?
http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCue49366

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hmm, indeed it seems closed and said to be resolved in 2.1(1f) "and later 2.1 releases", but as we still see the errors with 2.1(2a) I guess it is not fully resolved or a similar issue still exists...

According to a TAC engineer I spoke with, "these errors are still under investigation but could be ignored".

globecomm-tle
Level 1
Level 1

We received this warning today after I performed a Delete monitor session on the FI.  We are running 2.1(3b)

Hello,

This thread can help you troubleshoot the issue, as that error message can actually be related:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12133126/ucs-chassis-fans#4185971

Rate ALL helpfull answers.

-Kenny

I got this error on one chassis among many on 2.2(5c) firmware level. Since this was a green filed implementation, decommisioning and re-ackowledging the chassis cleared the error.

whitdept33
Level 1
Level 1

We have the same issue with our UCS estate, running v2.2(1b). 1 x 5108 chassis & 2 x 6296UP FI's.

As part of a project, we are about to upgrade to v3.1(1e) but I am reluctant to do this while this error is flapping, several times per day.

It's only ever classified as a green warning and disappears on its own but does not instill confidence in running an in-place upgrade on a production environment.

I am logging a call with our service provider, who will likely contact Cisco TAC, and I will post any useful information on this thread.

whitdept33, you can also take a look at my post here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12133126/ucs-chassis-fans#4185971 

-Kenny

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card