cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS Firmware Bundle Deletion during Lead Change and Removal from Suspend State

Tapper
Level 1
Level 1

We recently upgraded UCS Central to 2.0(1h).  This was so we would get past a Cisco UCS bug that would delete the VLAN and VLAN Group associations with the port channels in UCS Manager when a lead change was done or if a domain was taken out of Suspend State.  Upgrading to UCS Central 2.0(1h) did fixed this issue.

But, now a new issue (bug) has presented itself.  Now when a lead change was done or if a domain was taken out of Suspend State, random firmware bundles are getting deleted from the UCS Manager.  So far, I have done the lead change or taken out of Suspend state on 5 UCS domains.  For two of them, nothing happened. On two others one firmware bundles for the B-Series blades was deleted.  Both were different bundles, one 3.2(3d)B and the other 3.2.(3i)B.  On the last one, both the B-series blade and the currently running UCS Infrastructure 3.2.(3i)A firmware bundles were deleted.  

If a blade, that is on the firmware bundle that was deleted, is rebooted, the server will not boot up correctly.  

The Fix:

Re-download the bundles that were deleted to the UCS Manager.  You may have to delete any download tasks for the bundles that were already existing.

Once the bundles are download and unpacked, all of the faults will go away and servers can be rebooted again.

2 Replies 2

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If host firmware policies reference a deleted package you will get lots of 'deleted' image alerts.

Rebooting a blade already running the firmware won't be impacted by the firmware deletion unless it was in a pending action for actually apply the related firmware.

There are a couple of scenarios including FI replacement (i.e. swapping 6332 for 6332-16) where after the 2nd FI live replacement, UCSM doesn't seem to sync the B or C series bundles.

Kirk...

Yes, I did get a lot of alerts about missing firmware. like the CIMC and the BIOS.

But, rebooting a blade with the firmware bundle missing did cause it not to boot.  There were no pending actions. It did not boot correctly until I uploaded the firmware bundle again.

This was not a replacement scenario, only a lead change or a taking out of Suspend mode.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card