Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS-M to UCS-C - WWN Pools

Guys,

I am wondering if you can help, I am currently doing some work hereby we want to lift several UCS deployments running standalone UCS-M into UCS-C. The infrastructure has been configured using Fibre channel for storage, and as such has static policies whereby the previous engineer has manually assign WWNs to each service profile. Would it be possible to take these standalone policies, and convert them into a global policy that would be configured in UCS-C. The goal here is that I need to migrate the servers into using global UCS-C templates and policies but still retain the local WWN mappings per service profile. Changes to these mappings would mean the fabric would need re-zoning. The servers currently use FC for Boot from SAN as well as block storage.

I need to ensure that server 1 doesnt receive the WWNs for server 2 in the WWN pool, and thus either corrupts a storage LUN or gets access to a LUN that it hasnt been zoned to

Many thanks in advance

2 Replies 2

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

To clarify, you are talking about UCS central vs USC-C series servers in regards to global policies, and UCSM vs UCS-M (short lived M series blades)?

Please see https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/servers-unified-computing/unified-computing-system/200900-Configuration-guide-to-migrate-local-ser.html

It has a section referring to the ID retention:

"Leverage simple UCS Central PowerTool script to swap or assign the original (Correctly Zoned) WWPNs and other IDs. 
These ID’s are part of the created Global Pools, and ID Universe will reflect “In-Use” status once these IDs are properly assigned. 

This is just an example of  UCS Central PowerTools Script and is not an officially supported product of Cisco. Please use at your own risk,
and test first in a lab before using in production. Please edit script according to your Global-SP setup, Orgs, IDs, Policies, etc.
Refer to the guide for more information"

Thanks,

Kirk...

Kirk

Thanks for replying. You are indeed correct I am referring to UCS Manager and Central, I guess the problem that I have, is that this must be done as a rolling upgrade, and we wont be doing a direct import of the UCS Manager profiles into UNCS Central. This is because the customer has been using UCS Manager as a play ground, they have several templates, several profiles, that all need consolidating down, and standardising. Are you saying that if I keep the Server UUID consistent across the UCS Manager and Central deployments, that when I detach the UCS Manager Service Profile, and attach the Global UCS Central profile, the server will receive the same WWNs as it did with Manager? The customer has several UCS domains.

My challenge is that I need to ensure that the WWN are consistent across the local profile and the new global. Can I manually assign WWNs from a global pool to a specific profile ?

Many thanks

JP

Jonathan Perrozzi
Technical Director
Mob +44 (0) 77 666 54 774

[A screenshot of a cell phone Description automatically generated]
[A close up of a logo Description automatically generated]
[cid:image003.jpg@01D63D8B.FE84E8C0]
[cid:image004.jpg@01D63D8B.FE84E8C0]
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card