cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS Management options, Central questions

mdrudge
Level 1
Level 1

I'm reviewing the tools we use to manage UCS, as I am configuring another domain (our fourth).  Right now we have one UCS Central appliance, and have been running it for something like five or six years (it's been updated to 2.01i).  Is there any benefit to having a second UCS Central appliance for nonprod environments, and keeping the existing for prod?  I like the idea of having a separate instance for nonprod in some ways, but don't like the idea of re-defining VLANs, etc., and wonder if that defeats the purpose of this appliance.  Is it possible to move a UCS domain to a new Central server, if I just wanted to build a new one?  Unfortunately, it looks like the current domains were added via IP address.  Or should I just keep the appliance and look toward when Intersight is ready for prime time?  I just thought it wouldn't hurt to see what others thought as I continue to research.  Thanks!

3 Replies 3

jim_atkinson
Level 1
Level 1

IMHO - I am in an environment that utilizes UCS Central separately for PROD and DEV - Administrative overhead for starters, and it also contributes to bad habits, such as leaving breadcrumbs when "trying out different configs"

Personally, I have been waiting a long time for something like Intersight to finally start breathing, and can't wait for full adoption.

That totally makes sense.  Unfortunately, when I asked this question, I wasn't as aware of the depth of the separation of environments that we were moving towards.  New UCS Central it is.  I am definitely looking forward to when Intersight can take over.  Until then, oh well... at least this new appliance is a lot cleaner (for now).

We use one for 3 data centers.  One helps when you have standard configurations that they all share.  Like NTP, SMNP, SMTP and Authentication configurations.  They can be applied at root.  The more UCS Centrals there are, the greater the chance that one will not look like the other. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: