I need some advice about the configuration of a SAN configuration between an UCS and a Nexus, I checked a lot of document but nothing is clear (for me) to understand the correct configuration and to to apply it.
First of all, I have an err-disable on nexus (VLAN L2 problem) and ucs (SFP imcompatibility).
I have 2 (twinax cables) connected between ucs6248 and nexus 5548UP
Which configuration do I need to configure on the UCS ? fc or fcoe
Which configuration do I need to configure on the Nexus ?fc or vfc
Can I use a twinax cable or a sfp module with fiber cable ?
Use of switch or NPIV mode ?
use of switchport mode E or F ?
Or a link who explain the process I need to follow.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Here are a few points which can help you:
1) Only a certain set of SFP are supported / qualified for use on UCS FI and here is the list:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps10265/ps11544/data_sheet_c78-675245.pdf (Check page 5 on the pdft)
2) As for today we do not support FCoE uplink from the UCS FI. You still need to have pure ethernet and pure FC uplinks.
This is what you need to do:
1) Configure the ports on the FI as uplink ports and connect them to the ports on the n5k and configure the n5k ports as trunk.
2) For FC, first from the UP ports you'll have to mark the ports for FC. Then configure them as FC uplink which you can connect to the FC ports on the N5k.
3) You can run the FI in the NPV (FC End host mode) and make sure the n5k is running NPIV mode. With this the fc ports on the N5k will have to be configure as F ports.
Hope this helps!
I am using a pure ethernet interfaces with twinax cable, the problem is that my interface are in err-disable
is down (Error Disabled - VLAN L2 down on Eth interface) on Nexus interface
Incompatible SFP module on FI side.
I read some document who explain that I need to use a SFP module Fiber , but it's not very clear.
All my SFP are from Cisco .
I checked a lot of thing and I begin to understand but not all.I re explain my question
My 6248 and nexus 5548 have UP ports with a Netapp
For the storage how can I connect the 6248 and 5548
Use of the latest ports (31 and 32) on both systems
I want to use twinax cables what is the type fo configuration I need to apply
Fc,fcoe ,others ?
With Fc and twinax cable it doesn't work
With FC and SAN SFP(8 giga) it works
What is the configuration to do with a Twinax cable and the support of vsan ? I didn't found a sample of such architecture.
As I mentioned in my previous email, from the FI you will still have to configure pure fc uplink (which will have to uplink to the 5548 in your case). hence the config you need to apply will be fc. You can have the 8 gig FC uplink.
With the twinax cables you can only have the ethernet uplinks configured from the 6248 to the 5548 and since its pure ethernet there is no support for fc (vsan).
Hope this helps!