cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS Packet Capture - Span VNIC? VIF?

CiscoMedMed
Level 1
Level 1

I'd like to be able to capture packets between two servers on the same VLAN/subnet within UCS. We are running Windows on VMWare on UCS. What are some suggestions for accomplishing this? On a Nexus switch the monitor command will let you capture traffic from ports or vlans and output packets to a specific port.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

So the UCSM does let you define monitoring ports that include the VNICs.

The only downside, is that you have to pick an unused FI port on the FI side in question, and have a wireshark capable notebook/PC with correct cable (i.e. GLC-TE for 1Gb). acting as the destination.

You can capture at the ESXi VMNIC level with pktcap-uw utility, which used to be a bit clunky, but I think starting with Esxi 6.7 version lets you capture both directions without having to run multiple capture sessions.

Kirk...

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

So the UCSM does let you define monitoring ports that include the VNICs.

The only downside, is that you have to pick an unused FI port on the FI side in question, and have a wireshark capable notebook/PC with correct cable (i.e. GLC-TE for 1Gb). acting as the destination.

You can capture at the ESXi VMNIC level with pktcap-uw utility, which used to be a bit clunky, but I think starting with Esxi 6.7 version lets you capture both directions without having to run multiple capture sessions.

Kirk...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card