UCS Power plan

khld.saad
Level 1
Level 1

i have UCS 5108 AC2 

with two Chassis 

chassis 1 have 3 Servers 

chassis 2 have 5 Servers 

we had a stranger activity as all the  VM in All 5 server in chassis 2 cant connect to each other 

after that we got power error on chassis 2 as below  and all the PSU is up and running 

the power policy is N+1 

and all 4 PSU is connected to 4 different power source .

Some events lines that appear in this flapp 

Line 15278: Description: [FSM:STAGE:SKIP]: If explicit power capping is enabled, check if power can be allocated to server 2/1(FSM-STAGE:sam:dme:Co
Line 15278: Description: [FSM:STAGE:SKIP]: If explicit power capping is enabled, check if power can be allocated to server 2/1(FSM-STAGE:sam:dme:Co
Line 15279: mputeBladeDiscover:checkPowerAvailability)
Line 15287: Description: [FSM:STAGE:END]: If explicit power capping is enabled, check if power can be allocated to server 2/1(FSM-STAGE:sam:dme:Com
Line 15287: Description: [FSM:STAGE:END]: If explicit power capping is enabled, check if power can be allocated to server 2/1(FSM-STAGE:sam:dme:Com
Line 15288: puteBladeDiscover:checkPowerAvailability)
Line 15321: Description: [FSM:STAGE:STALE-SUCCESS]: (FSM-STAGE:sam:dme:EquipmentChassisPowerCap:Config)
Line 15329: Description: [FSM:STAGE:END]: (FSM-STAGE:sam:dme:EquipmentChassisPowerCap:Config)
Line 15337: Description: [FSM:END]: Cap the power consumption of chassis 2(FSM:sam:dme:EquipmentChassisPowerCap)
Line 15337: Description: [FSM:END]: Cap the power consumption of chassis 2(FSM:sam:dme:EquipmentChassisPowerCap)
Line 15345: Description: [FSM:STAGE:REMOTE-ERROR]: WRONG RUN ID:Result: not-applicable Code: unspecified Message: (sam:dme:EquipmentChassisPowerCap
Line 15354: Description: [FSM:STAGE:ASYNC]: (FSM-STAGE:sam:dme:EquipmentChassisPowerCap:Config)
Line 15371: Description: [FSM:BEGIN]: Cap the power consumption of chassis 2(FSM:sam:dme:EquipmentChassisPowerCap)
Line 15371: Description: [FSM:BEGIN]: Cap the power consumption of chassis 2(FSM:sam:dme:EquipmentChassisPowerCap)
Line 15379: Description: [FSM:STAGE:END]: (FSM-STAGE:sam:dme:EquipmentChassisPowerCap:begin)
Line 15387: Description: [FSM:STAGE:RESET]: (FSM-STAGE:sam:dme:EquipmentChassisPowerCap:begin)
Line 15411: Description: [FSM:STAGE:ASYNC]: (FSM-STAGE:sam:dme:EquipmentChassisPowerCap:Config)
Line 15428: Description: [FSM:BEGIN]: Cap the power consumption of chassis 2(FSM:sam:dme:EquipmentChassisPowerCap)
Line 15428: Description: [FSM:BEGIN]: Cap the power consumption of chassis 2(FSM:sam:dme:EquipmentChassisPowerCap)
Line 15436: Description: [FSM:STAGE:END]: (FSM-STAGE:sam:dme:EquipmentChassisPowerCap:begin)

power.JPG
power2.JPG

8 Replies 8

mojafri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Those events should't be related to VM connectivity issue. What is the UCSM code? There are many bugs related to redundancy failure messages on chassis, however all PSUs will be working fine. 

Regards,

MJ 

i know that those event realted to power but what cause the VM connectivity issue
as there is event in same time made the I/o to change from right to left and made some changes

That's definitely a co-incident, but these shouldn't be related. BTW what hypervisor you are running? What is the even on OS end?

khld.saad
Level 1
Level 1
do u mean the below
and do u think that its okey to connect the 4PSU to different power source

<faultInst
ack="no"
cause="power-problem"
changeSet=""

code="F0408"
created="2018-10-12T15:51:24"
descr="Power state on chassis 2 is redundancy-failed"
dn="sys/chassis-2/fault-F0408"
highestSeverity="major"
id="4834781"
lastTransition="2018-10-12T15:51:24"
lc=""
occur="1"
origSeverity="major"
prevSeverity="major"

rule="equipment-chassis-power-problem"
severity="major"
status="created"
tags="server"
type="environmental">
</faultInst>

n+1

tell me if i use Grid policy does that mean that i restrict with only 2 power source or i can add more .

no restriction on number of PDUs, you may add multiple power source.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card