Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS PowerTool: UcsVnicIScsiStaticTargetIf not displayed via GUI

alois.heilmaier
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I tried to configure my UCS System with a Service Profile template.

I Use iscsi boot, so I Need to configure a UcsVnicIScsiStaticTargetIf via CiscoUCSPS.
It took me a Long time to find out the Syntax with try and error and the | convertto-ucscmdlet.
But now I got the correct cmdlet:

Get-UcsOrg -Level root -Ucs $UCS | Get-UcsOrg -Name $Scope -LimitScope | Get-UcsServiceProfile -Name $SpName -LimitScope | Get-UcsVnicIScsi -Name "iSCSI-A" | Add-UcsVnicIScsiStaticTargetIf -ModifyPresent  -AuthProfileName "" -IpAddress "10.10.10.10" -Name "iqn.1992-08.com.netapp:sn.123456789012345678901234567890:vs.10" -Port 3260 -Priority 1

I do also get a positive result via following cmdlet. So I think it would work.

Get-UcsOrg -Level root -Ucs $UCS | Get-UcsOrg -Name $Scope -LimitScope | Get-UcsServiceProfile -Name $SpName -LimitScope | Get-UcsVnicIScsi -Name "iSCSI-A" | Get-UcsVnicIScsiStaticTargetIf

But by now I can not see the result in the UCM GUI. There is no entry: Service Profile Templates > ServiceTemplateX > Boot Order > iSCSI > iSCSI-A > Set iSCSI Boot Parameters > iSCSI Static Targed Interface

Any suggestions on that ?

Thanks and best regards

Alois

7 Replies 7

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm confused ? the powershell commands refer to a service profile, your UCSM GUI refer to a service profile template ?

Hello Walter,

sorry for confusion.

The varname $SpName is a little bit confusing, I should use something like $SptName.

I do select a serviceprofile template with the

"Get-UcsServiceProfile -Name $SpName -LimitScope"

The Profile was created earlier with the Option

$Type = "updating-template"

Get-UcsOrg -Level root -Ucs $UCS | Get-UcsOrg -Name $Scope -LimitScope | Add-UcsServiceProfile –ModifyPresent -BootPolicyName $BootPolicyName -ExtIPPoolName $ExtIPPoolName -ExtIPState "pooled" -IdentPoolName $IdentPoolName -Name $SpName -PolicyOwner "local" -ScrubPolicyName $ScrubPolicyName -StatsPolicyName "default" -Type $Type -Uuid "0" -VconProfileName $VconProfileName

Hi Alois

-updating template - > changes can only be made on the template, derived service profile is read only

-some changes require a reboot.

Do you have a maintenance policy in place, which requires a ACK; and if yes, did you check on the UCSM, if you don't have a pending ack's ?

Hi Walter,

until now I do not have any instantiated service profile from this template, so there is no pending task. I also have no binding of a service profile to a blade.

I tried to instantiate 2 service profiles from this service profile template.
Result:
GUI does not show the "iSCSI static target Interface"
Powershell cmdlet ... Get-UcsVnicIScsiStaticTargetIf (with the select on the new service profile instances) does show the "iSCSI static target Interface"

I tried to bind a service profile to a blade via GUI:
Result:
Configuration Error:
"issue with boot order, posibly iSCSI vNIC not found or no Targets configured for iSCSI vnic"

I will also try to bind the service profile to a blade via powershell, maybe this will work. But first I do have explore the right cmdlet(s) to to this.

Alois

I would first troubleshoot the service profile, that it successfully associates with a physical blade.

then I would create this SP from scratch, using convertto-ucscmdlet.

then I would create a template, using convertto-ucscmdlet

btw. do you have an initiator name and ip pool, that you reference in your template ?

Hi Walter,

Thanks a lot. I tried the last (Add-UcsVnicIScsiStaticTargetIf) step again via GUI + -LogAllXml  and the convertto-ucscmdlet.
(adding the initiatol pool and ip pool worked but was also a hard way to get to)

This gave me a new starting point to Add-UcsVnicIScsiStaticTargetIf.

I will compare the differences between the old cmdlet and the new one -that works- and will provide Feedback on that.

By the way, I got following error as I tried the convertto-ucscmdlet. Do you have more detailed Information ?
(I have UCSM 2.2(5a) and Powertool 1.2.1.0)

WARNING: Add-UcsVnicIPv4PooledIscsiAddr cmdlet does not exist. Using the generic version.
#Post your query or feedback in Cisco UCS Integrations Communities (https://communities.cisco.com/ucsintegrations) or contact Cisco TAC.

Start-UcsTransaction
$mo = Get-UcsOrg -Level root -Ucs $UCS | Get-UcsOrg -Name $Scope -LimitScope | Get-UcsServiceProfile -Name $SpName -LimitScope | Get-UcsVnicIScsiBootParams | Set-UcsVnicIScsiBootParams -Descr "" -PolicyOwner "local"
$mo_1 = Get-UcsOrg -Level root -Ucs $UCS | Get-UcsOrg -Name $Scope -LimitScope | Get-UcsServiceProfile -Name $SpName -LimitScope | Get-UcsVnicIScsiBootParams | Get-UcsVnicIScsiBootVnic -Name $Name | Set-UcsVnicIScsiBootVnic -AuthProfileName "" -Descr "" -InitiatorName "" -IqnIdentPoolName $IqnIdentPoolName -PolicyOwner "local"
$mo_1_1 = $mo_1 | Add-UcsVnicIScsiStaticTargetIf -AuthProfileName "" -IpAddress "10.10.10.10" -Name "iqn.1992-08.com.netapp:sn.123456789012345678901234567890:vs.13" -Port 3260 -Priority 1
$mo_1_1_1 = $mo_1_1 | Add-UcsVnicLun -ModifyPresent -Bootable "no" -Id 0
Complete-UcsTransaction

Hi Alois

I would create the pools without powershell anyway; this has to be done once only.

The newest versions are

2.2.5b (see the performance caveat with 2.2.5a for some B200-M4 blades)

and

Cisco UCSM PowerTool - Cisco UCSM Module of Windows PowerShell  Login Required
CiscoUcs-PowerTool-1.5.1.0.exe
16-JUL-2015

11.93 MB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card