Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS PowerTools Get-UcsStorageLocalDisk returns "unknown" disk

Hi,

I'm using UCS PowerTools to create an inventory report of our environment and to perform some basic QA checks. Recently we got our first new C240-M4 systems with a Cisco 12 GB SAS RAID controller. Here the cmdlet "Get-UcsStorageLocalDisk" returns an additional unknown hard drive, e.g. the server is equipped with 3 HDDs but UCS PowerTools reports 4 HDDs where the last disk looks like this:

BlockSize : unknown
ConnectionProtocol : SAS
DeviceType : unspecified
DiskState : unknown
Id : 4
Lc : allocated
LinkSpeed : unknown
Model :
NumberOfBlocks : unknown
OperQualifierReason : N/A
Operability : unknown
PowerState : unknown
Presence : missing
Revision : 0
Serial :
Size : unknown
Vendor :
Dn : sys/rack-unit-52/board/storage-SAS-2/disk-4
Rn : disk-4
XtraProperty : {[AdminAction, unspecified], [AdminActionTrigger, idle], [Bootable, unknown], [ConfigCheckPoint, ]...}
Ucs : myUcsManager

According to my findings this ghost disk is not related to the FlexFlash drive. Enabling, or disabling has no effect on it.

However, the 4th disk is not visible in the UCS Manager graphical interface but in the command line interface it is.

Kind regards,

Stephan

3 Replies 3

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

You may actually be hitting a known bug where the 12Gb sas controller info doesn't get correctly populated during discovery.  Please try decommissioning and re-acking the rack server, and confirm the storage controller information is populated in the UCSM GUI equipment tab.

We normally see this more on the B200M4 blades, but I have a few cases involving C220M4/C240M4 for the same issue.

If the UCSM correctly shows the controller information but the power tool applet is still polling with the missing info, then we have some other issue.

Does the controller currently poll correctly, as well as the disks 1-3?

Thanks,

Kirk..

Hi Kirk,

Thank you for your swift answer.

I did decommission/recommission the server as you suggested and I also re-acknowledged the system. Unfortunately the situation has not changed.

We have about 700 Cisco C240-M3 where we rarly see "unknown" disks. Here a decommission/recommission typically solves the issue.

We got two new C240-M4L systems last year and 4 C240-M4S this week. All six systems show an additional "unknown" disk in the CLI and in PowerTools. These disks are not visible in the GUI.

We are running UCS Manager version 2.2(6c) and assigned Host Firmware Package 2.2(5c) to the two C240-M4L systems. The four new C240-M4S servers are running firmware version 2.2(6e) as a downgrade to 2.2(5c) is not possible (we face the bug with the BMC related to C-bundle 2.2(6c))

Actually I do not know how to check the controller is correctly polling. However, in the WebBIOS of the controller, or when running StorCli.exe I do not see this issue.

Kind regards,
Stephan

Just an update: the fouth missing disk is now visible in UCS Manager GUI too as fault:

F1256, ID 4853089, equipment-missing, Local disk 4 missing on server xx...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card