Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS Server boot issue

bchintak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Experts,
I found the below situtation while testing but couldn't troubleshoot. Please let me know where can be the issue

UCS B-blade server chassis is connected to JBOD via FI (end host mode) and MDS switch. Created appropriate Service profile and associated to the blade server. In MDS switch when I checked show zonset active for that particular vsan, I see '*' for JBOD, chassis and the server. But Server couldn't be booted. I make sure that MDS is in NPIV mode and I have properly mapped LUN id.

Please help me where could the problem

8 Replies 8

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

This may help you:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/sw/raid/configuration/guide/RAID_GUIDE/Cisco_UCSM.html

Not sure if you are using LSI or not:

• Do Not Use JBOD Mode on Servers with MegaRAID Storage Controllers

Do not configure or use JBOD mode or JBOD operations on any blade server or integrated rack-mount server with MegaRAID storage controllers. JBOD mode and operations are not supported on these servers.

HTH,

Wes

Thanks for your reply.  I have use any configuration as the local disk configuration policy for simplicity

Sorry Wes, I don't understand !

The original question was boot from SAN ? what has this to do with MegaRAID Storage Controllers ?

The problem is very likely a wrong boot policy.

Walter.

Hey Walter,

I understand, must have misread that the first time.

If we can have a screen capture of the boot order. It may aid in investigating this issue Bchintak.

Thanks,

Wes

Sorry, I can't share for security reasons .
There is only one option is present that is Boot from SAN

I have created fc0 which is mapped to Vsan-A and fc1 is mapped to Vsan-B

Please let me know what additional details you need

Do you see on MDS (show flogi database vsan ..) that fc0 and fc1 have done flogi.

And is the zoning properly setup (show zoneset active vsan ...).

How does your boot policy look like ? Initiator = pwwn of fc0 resp fc 1; target = pwwn of Jbod controller....

Hi Walter,
Yes in zoneset active I can see all pwwn's. Zoning is perfect..
As per storage admin, no issues with JBOD.. My question is is there anything missed in MDS /UCS side

Hi

If zoning is ok, then the only problem is a misconfigured boot policy.

Walter.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card