cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ucs-tool-esxi.vib version 1.0.0-1OEM - what is this tool?

mdrudge
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I have recently installed some vSphere 6.5 hosts on UCS B200 M3 blades.  I downloaded the "Vmware-ESXi-6.5.0-5969303-Custom-Cisco-6.5.1.1.iso" image off of VMware's site, and installed it on the hosts.  This image includes a vib added by Cisco, ucs-tool-esxi.vib.  Our security scanners are flagging it because it is "Partner Supported" instead of "VMware Certified"for the Host Image Profile Acceptance Level.  I do not want to uninstall the tool if it's useful, but I'm not sure what it does?  I would like to have an explanation for our Security team.  Any thoughts would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

VIB  helps UCSM by providing host OS inventory and enables to ease the validation of UCS HCL matrix. 

You will also get more details when your domain is registered with Intersight ( when features introduced in it ) 

Following commands on ESXi host will provide more details on VIB

esxcli software vib get -n ucs-tool-esxi

ls /opt/ucs_tool_esxi

Thanks

Padma

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

VIB  helps UCSM by providing host OS inventory and enables to ease the validation of UCS HCL matrix. 

You will also get more details when your domain is registered with Intersight ( when features introduced in it ) 

Following commands on ESXi host will provide more details on VIB

esxcli software vib get -n ucs-tool-esxi

ls /opt/ucs_tool_esxi

Thanks

Padma

Thanks, Padma!  I was wondering if it was related to Intersight since the vib seemed to be added about the same time Intersight was announced.  I appreciate the info!

Hello,

Yes, as of today it is useful for UCSM-managed servers where the domain is registered with Intersight. 

Partner certified is  good for host extensions program. 

Would you be able to share what is the alert that you receive from your scanner ? 

Thanks

Hi Padmas, sorry about the delay.  We use Qualys for security scans of ESXi hosts, and the reports come up with the text

"Expected regular expression match
^(VMware Certified|VMware Accepted)$"

Since Partner Supported is not listed here, the compliance scan report has the scan as "Failed" for the Host Image Profile Acceptance Level.  If we want to keep this vib, I will need to put in a variance to document this.  I've done it before for Teradici cards on our VDI rackmounts, but I need some explanation.  Thanks again for your help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card