cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS upgrade 2.2(3c) to 2.2(8)

vtaniparth
Level 1
Level 1

we are planning for a firmware upgrade on our UCS environment. Currently its running on 2.2(3c) and planning to upgrade it to 2.2(8). SO my question is can we apply the upgrade on a particular chassis or a blade server that we want to run on 2.2(8).

Thanks in Advance!!

5 Replies 5

So Austin, suppose if we have 30 odd B-series blades on 5 chassis and we want to upgrade only two blades in chassis 3 as part of our plan. My question is can we upgrade that two blades to 2.2(8) and keep the remaining running on 2.2(3c), to upgrade them at later stages. Can we do that after upgrading UCSM, FIs and IO modules.

Thanks in advance!!

The release notes outline cross firmware version support

Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 9.47.47 AM.png

If your service profiles are bound to a shared template, unbind the two you want to upgrade and change the host firmware package on those two service profiles to the new version.

Check your maintenance policy and make sure it is set to what you expect it to do on a config change prior.

While the above process is correct there is one exception that will turn it on its head. If you are using Fibre Channel storage when upgrading over that version gap you need to worry about a family of bugs that can result in storage outages during IOM restarts which occur during the upgrade.

This field notice covers most of it but there are about 9 different Bug IDs that cover the various permutations of the issue (only two in the field notice). Cisco usually refers to this collectively as the "Chatty Adapter bugs", personally I use a different name. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/field-notices/638/fn63853.html 

If you aren't using FC storage then you can ignore this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card