Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS VLAN help

wormvine1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello forum,

I apologize if this topic has been asked before and I have researched and read till I am blue in the face.

I have a couple questions regarding VLAN behavior on a UCS Mini.

My Environment:

Cisco UCS Mini in End Host mode.

UCS Manager v. 4.0(1a)

I am reconfiguring my LIVE UCS mini system due to a major iSCSI upstream switch failure.

Everything is peachy on the DATA uplink connections.

I am changing my iSCSI SAN connections and am getting confusing behavior. 

I have created a Fabric B specific VLAN (32).   

Why does it not appear in the available VLAN list of the new VLAN Group I created ??

VLAN 32 is NOT assigned to any vNICs yet.

The new VAN group (iSCSI-B) has no "Ethernet Uplink Ports" nor any "Port channels" added yet.

Many thanks in advance.  There is much more to my setup and current situation but I wanted to keep the question simple for now.

Adam

16 Replies 16

It just adds a layer of complexity when working with a small amount of VLANs. If you have a large group of VLANs you are going to be adding or you need to divide up groups of VLANs for tenant purposes, they might be useful. I wouldn't say there is a reason NOT to use them, it is just a lot simpler to use global individual VLANs and prune them via LAN uplinks manager if required.

Thanks Wes for all your help.

I wish there was a way for me to explore the behavior of the LAN uplinks manager because honestly I find it confusing and unintuitive.  I personally have a hard time in UCSM as the monotonal color scheme makes it hard for me to discern patterns.

I miss the older UCSM honestly.  

I think I know how to work within LAMN Uplinks manager but my only UCS Mini is running live production so I cannot bang away to see cause and effect which is how I learn.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: