Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS VMware 6.5 Drivers

rchaseling
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I have some B200M4 servers running on UCS version 3.2(2b) with Cisco VIC 1340s. I have just installed the Cisco custom image for ESXi 6.5 U2

On checking the installed drivers vs the "supported" drivers on the UCS Hardware and Software Compatibility portal I noticed that nenic & fnic drivers that were installed with the Cisco custom image are a few revisions higher than what is in the portal.

Can I assume that the portal is outdated.....or do I need to downgrade my VMware drivers?

NENIC installed - 1.0.25.0-1OEM.650.0.0.4598673

NENIC portal  - 1.0.16.0

FNIC installed - 1.6.0.44

FNIC portal -1.6.0.37

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mojafri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @rchaseling,

Custom ISO contains min driver versions for all component so that OS can't be installed on servers. We should always follow what is there in portal (Compatibility matrix- https://ucshcltool.cloudapps.cisco.com/public/ ). Moreover I don't see 3.2(2'x') blade bundle for ESXi 6.5 U2 with B200 M4 v3 or v4 CPUs. You need 3.2(3'x'). 

image.png

image.png

Note: Whenever you are checking compatibility matrix, you should always look at blade/rack-server bundle rather UCSM/cimc/biso firmware. 

Please rate if you find it helpful. 

Regards,

MJ

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mojafri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @rchaseling,

Custom ISO contains min driver versions for all component so that OS can't be installed on servers. We should always follow what is there in portal (Compatibility matrix- https://ucshcltool.cloudapps.cisco.com/public/ ). Moreover I don't see 3.2(2'x') blade bundle for ESXi 6.5 U2 with B200 M4 v3 or v4 CPUs. You need 3.2(3'x'). 

image.png

image.png

Note: Whenever you are checking compatibility matrix, you should always look at blade/rack-server bundle rather UCSM/cimc/biso firmware. 

Please rate if you find it helpful. 

Regards,

MJ

Hi MJ,

Thanks for the quick informative reply.Your screenshots show exactly what I was looking at

OK so looks like I need to do a small UCS upgrade........but then do a VMware driver downgrade?

Seems a bit strange that Cisco would release a custom image 2 months ago which has newer drivers that aren't supported yet

Hi @rchaseling,

If you go for higher firmware version i.e. 4.0(1) you will find those drivers. 

image.png

So to answer your question: OK so looks like I need to do a small UCS upgrade........but then do a VMware driver downgrade?

Yes, you have to downgrade the driver else upgrade the blade firmware to 4.0(1). 

Hope this helps. Please rate !

Regards,

MJ

Thanks

4.0 does not support some older M2 blades we have so won't be going there. Appreciate the advise - I'm downgrading as we speak

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card