cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS vNIC Adapter Policy for Linux/Windows question

gaskincharles
Level 1
Level 1

I am using Citrix XenServer for a hypervisor. I have 4 main vNIC assigned in the server profile. vNIC 0 is what I use for the hypervisor NIC, and the policy I set on this vNIC in the UCS is a Linux profile. But I am noticing that the vNIC's that I am using the Windows VM's are also set to use Linux Adapter settings. What is the typical setup for vNIC's when it comes to the VM's that your assigning ? Should the OS of VM's being used be a factor or is this just dependent on the hypervisor OS that your using ?

2 Replies 2

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

UCSM comes with default adapter policy with tested settings to meet different OS requirements. 

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/2.1/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_1_chapter_010101.html#d95479e943a1635

Is Xen presenting the vNIC directly to your virtual machine ?

Can you please share a specific virtual nic setting for Windows that should be different than vNIC configuration ?

Padma

Yes, the XenServer hypervisor is presenting the vNIC directly to the virtual machines.

The only differnece between the Linux and the Windows vNIC Adapter Policy setting is the Receive Side Scaling is enabled on the windows policy and disabled on the linux policy under the options section, and the Receive Queues and the Completion Queues are higher under the resource section.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card