Views
Helpful
Replies

UCSM 2.1 Local disk configuration policy and raid volumes

harjunen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

If i use Any configuration as local disk configuration policy and do the raid settings directly to the RAID-cards, am i able to have two raid volumes on C-series under UCSM management?

What i would like to do with C240M3 with 6 local disks: 2 disk raid1 and 4 disk raid0

So i would use:

"Any Configuration—For a server configuration that carries forward the local disk configuration without any changes."

As UCS servers Raid guide indicates:

"Maximum of One RAID Volume and One RAID Controller in Integrated Rack-Mount Servers

A rack-mount server that has been integrated with Cisco UCS Manager can  have a maximum of one RAID volume irrespective of how many hard drives  are present on the server. "

Is this paragraph limitation of GUI not able to set several volumes or hard fact without "Any configuration" workaround?

2 Replies 2

harjunen
Level 1
Level 1

I did some testing about this issue:

• Changed Local Disk Configuration to "Any Configuration"
  • Two virtual disks can be created from Raid card's WebBIOS
  • These disks are visible to RedHat Installation.
  • UCSM shows Any configuration for the Storage Local Disk policy
  • Actual Disk Configuration has faulty information - WebBios is the only place to check the RAID status?

Next step: I'll do the same for the production

Disk configuration can be refreshed with re-acknowledging the server which then will show the correct raid information and disk setup

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card