Views
Helpful
Replies

UCSM 2.1 Local disk configuration policy and raid volumes

harjunen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

If i use Any configuration as local disk configuration policy and do the raid settings directly to the RAID-cards, am i able to have two raid volumes on C-series under UCSM management?

What i would like to do with C240M3 with 6 local disks: 2 disk raid1 and 4 disk raid0

So i would use:

"Any Configuration—For a server configuration that carries forward the local disk configuration without any changes."

As UCS servers Raid guide indicates:

"Maximum of One RAID Volume and One RAID Controller in Integrated Rack-Mount Servers

A rack-mount server that has been integrated with Cisco UCS Manager can  have a maximum of one RAID volume irrespective of how many hard drives  are present on the server. "

Is this paragraph limitation of GUI not able to set several volumes or hard fact without "Any configuration" workaround?

2 Replies 2

harjunen
Level 1
Level 1

I did some testing about this issue:

• Changed Local Disk Configuration to "Any Configuration"
  • Two virtual disks can be created from Raid card's WebBIOS
  • These disks are visible to RedHat Installation.
  • UCSM shows Any configuration for the Storage Local Disk policy
  • Actual Disk Configuration has faulty information - WebBios is the only place to check the RAID status?

Next step: I'll do the same for the production

Disk configuration can be refreshed with re-acknowledging the server which then will show the correct raid information and disk setup

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card