cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCSM integration with C series - non-nexus 2k for management?

tcgleed
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to integrate the C series rack mounts (particulary C250 M2) with UCSM without using the 2248 for management as per this article for the C200 http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C200M1/install/ucsm-integration.html

I assume we would be able to connect the LOM ports on the C250 to a different switch ie 3750 as that would be connected via uplink to the 61xx FI. The CNA card on the C250 would be connected directly to the 61xx FI. Would this work?

The integration guide only refers to the Nexus 2248 FEX which we don't have and I can't find any confirmation elsewhere.

Thanks in advance

Tim

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sure,  the Nexus 2k is similiar to the IOM module (2104) in the 5108 chassis.

To keep the same control plane logic the Nexus 2k is providing a similiar functionality.

Everything under the Nexus 2k is acting as a "rack mount" chassis. The nexus 2k is not a switch per say but a "slave" off the the parent "switch / end host mode" device (6100). A typical regular / normal switch would not work in this case.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Eric Rose
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

sorry but the UCS C series would have to connect to the Nexus 2k (FEX) and then connect to the 6100s as shown in that link.

Thanks

Eric

OK, thanks for the prompt response. Just for knowledge purposes then can you please explain why we can't use a normal switch with 10GbE uplinks to the FI (this might be obvious but I have to explain it to the powers that be )

Sure,  the Nexus 2k is similiar to the IOM module (2104) in the 5108 chassis.

To keep the same control plane logic the Nexus 2k is providing a similiar functionality.

Everything under the Nexus 2k is acting as a "rack mount" chassis. The nexus 2k is not a switch per say but a "slave" off the the parent "switch / end host mode" device (6100). A typical regular / normal switch would not work in this case.

Thanks Eric, that's great.

We only have the one rack mount, (it was acquired as part of the bundle when B230 M2's were purchased), however we do have the CNA adapter card installed - in order to utilize this fully and connect that to the FI, would this require UCSM integration?

You can use the C250 as a standard rack mount server via the CNA adapter to another FCOE switch (not the FI). If you want to connect to the FI and integate it via UCSM then the Nexus 2k is required.

However almost all of my customers use the rack mount as standard rack mount servers. The C250 can be used via the on-board NIC or the CNA adatper that you have. This also fully utilized the C250 functionality. All depends on what you are looking for.

Hope this help.

Thanks

Eric

P.S. if this answers your question, please mark as answered with a 5

Cheers Eric. I would expect it will be staying as a standalone rack mount and the CNA card repurposed elsewhere as it now won't be utilized in this environment. Unfortunately it appears the right questions were not asked by whomeever spec'd it out.

Thanks for your help!

Is this still the case with the P81e with its integrated CIMC?  I think it would make no logical sense for me to have to buy 2248's to connect one C200 M2.  I can get the CIMC LED to illuminate initially, but and UCSM see's the server, but it never inventories the server and after one reboot, the CIMC LED goes away.  I've already upgraded the firmware of everything to the latest, UCSM is 1.4.1m.

Thanks.

Yes - at the present code versions, the C-Series require the 2248's for management.  The roadmap includes unified management, but accomplishing this on C-Series was much more complex task than B-Series.  Releasing integration with this requirement was not ideal, but it was the only way to accomplish it at the time.  The end goal we're working towards will be the unified solution.  The hopes were that the 2248's could be re-provisioned for other uses with a regular N5K(s) once the single integration solution is available.

Keep in mind also that C-Series integration requires the CIMC & FW to be at 1.2.  Support for 1.3 and 1.4 will be coming later in the year.

Regards,

Robert

Robert Burns wrote:

Yes - at the present code versions, the C-Series require the 2248's for management.  The roadmap includes unified management, but accomplishing this on C-Series was much more complex task than B-Series.  Releasing integration with this requirement was not ideal, but it was the only way to accomplish it at the time.  The end goal we're working towards will be the unified solution.  The hopes were that the 2248's could be re-provisioned for other uses with a regular N5K(s) once the single integration solution is available.

Keep in mind also that C-Series integration requires the CIMC & FW to be at 1.2.  Support for 1.3 and 1.4 will be coming later in the year.

Regards,

Robert

This kills me...  it's like we're half way there a lot lately.  The CIMC functionality is integrated into the P81 but we can only slightly use it today.  So it's weird to me that UCSM sees the server, knows exactly what it is, even it's hardware configuration initially, but then can't do anything with it.  Do you think that if I downgrade the FW and CIMC to 1.2 versions, it will function without a 2K?  I mean the deal is, this is for emergency purposes, helping to fix some issues inside of a vBlock.  Having the ability to get FCoE to my C200 is nearly critical at this point or this vBlock will have to be rebuilt from scratch.  I just can't believe that we have all the pieces, except the 2K...  we have network, FCoE, storage, etc, but no 2K...

Don't shoot the messenger

I do understand your frustration.  I did a head scratch myself when I heard it was being released this way.  It was that or nothing - so unfortunately to augment any C-Series integration today, you MUST use the 2248's for management.  No other way around it at this stage, downgrading alone wouldn't do it.

The only option to get FCoE to your C Series without the N2K's, is to connect them directly to an N5K (not UCS).  The box would still be managed standalone, but you'd get the connectivity you're looking for.  That's of course assuming you have N5K's.

Might want to speak with your Account Rep to see if they can loan/score you a pair of of 2248's until the unified options is available.

Robert

Of course, one area where you could 'upsell' is if current northbound LAN switches are not N5K's.  You could potentially get an N5k bundle, but use the 'cheap' 2248's as the C-Series integration piece.

I am working on something like this with one of my customers, as they want to use C-Series for UC on UCS, and upgrade northbound to N5k's, so this does actually work quite well, because both their B and C servers will be managed by UCSM In the long run, this design will also turn into a flexpod.

I agree though, that for most customers the 2248's are a bit of overkill, so I will welcome news of the unified wiring....

Rgds

Dominic

Is it still the case that the 2248's are required?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card