cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCSM VM-FEX when create port-profile name cannot use . (dot)

UCSM 2.01q with 6120XP

I can create port-profile using . (dot) for example "VLAN30-192.168.1" but it cause some warning message (picture below)

so I try to change the name to VLAN30-192-168-1 it can work just fine

my question is Can I use . (dot) in my port-profile name ?

PS. I checked cisco manual

This name can be between 1 and 31 ASCII alphanumeric. You cannot

use spaces or any special characters other than - (hyphen), _

(underscore), . (period), and : (colon), and you cannot change this name

after the object has been saved.

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

We have logged a bug for this CSCtw50228 - Thanks to Jalpa!

Our devs have confirmed that while other objects have name validation, the VM Port profiles do not, which throws the error you're seeing since NXOS can't process "." (periods).  Service profiles names are a different case as NXOS is unaware of these objects.

The workaround is to avoid using periods in VM profile names.  Use a dash instead.

Regards,

Robert

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Attavit,

There should be no problem creating a Service Profile name using "." (period).  I don't believe the warning message you're seeing is related to the SP name. 

Can you show both of the error messages you're seeing?  The one selected in the screenshot is just a vnic deployment advisory warning...

The only fault you should see when creating a new SP is a warning fault telling you the SP is not yet associated.

Regards,

Robert

Hi Robert,

Pls check private message for the capture screen step by step about creating the port-profile (VM-FEX)

There's different from create port-profile name with - (hyphen) and . (period) from UCSM view

from the picture in attached file

1. Create Port-profile with hyphen. completely successful and no any faults

2. Create Port-profile with period. has 2 warning fault message and if I wait for retry limit it has critical fault popup

Best Regards,

Attavit

Attavit,

Thanks for the screenshots.  I tested this in my 2.0(1m) lab - and it worked as expected.  I created a "rob-1.1.1.1" VM-FEX profile with a single VLAN as native, 128 Ports, and a QoS policy, which raised the same warning fault appeared stating "error redirecting cmd to PPM, error: 2, ret: xxxxxx."  After about 20 sec, the FSM tab retries complete, and the new Profile is created.  I then assign a PP Client, and it pushed fine to vCenter.

How long do you let UCS sit in the "stuck" state for? 

I see a TAC case open for a similar issue, is that possibly yours?  If so, I'll sync up with the assigned engineer.

Regards,

Robert

Robert,

I wait about an hour until warning fault become critical fault as the last screenshot I have sent to you

While this issue happening I create the Port-Profile Client and push to vCenter. Yes, it appear in the vCenter but the problem is it cannot operate normally when I assign virtual machine to the Port-Profile.

For the TAC case, it's not mine. I think someone found the problem like me

My FI are 6120 with 2.01q

Best Regards,

Attavit

We have logged a bug for this CSCtw50228 - Thanks to Jalpa!

Our devs have confirmed that while other objects have name validation, the VM Port profiles do not, which throws the error you're seeing since NXOS can't process "." (periods).  Service profiles names are a different case as NXOS is unaware of these objects.

The workaround is to avoid using periods in VM profile names.  Use a dash instead.

Regards,

Robert

Robert,

Thank you for your effort.

but Do you have the plan to fix this issue in the future ? ( I want information to tell my customer )

Best Regards,

Attavit

The bug was only formally verified/logged yesterday.  Our devs will need to create the fix, put it through QA and it will be included in a future patch release.

Either way, the fix would be for UCSM to validate the VM Profile name and NOT accept a period character.  The fix will NOT change behavior to allow it - this is because the underlying NXOS can't process this character and is aware of the adaptor profile object name.  So if your customer has a naming convention that uses ".", I'd suggest to change it to a dash instead.

As soon as I have a tentative commit date I will let you know.

Regards,

Robert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card