Helpful
Replies

Unable to create Virtual Disk in Cisco UCS C220 M4

Davesh.Borasi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a C220 M4S Blade with below Storage settings

Cisco 12G SAS HBA Pass Through Controller . We are not getting the option to create Virtual drive on that Controller. We do not have Cisco FlexFlash.

Controller.JPG

Physical drives.JPGUCS Controller1.JPGUCS storage inventory.JPGSAS Controller 1.JPGboot devices.JPGdisk utility.JPG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
8 Replies 8

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

So how can we perform the installation of the vmware esxi because ESXi is not able to find the disk.

I would start with understanding the use case for the HBA. Typically customer will use this for certain applications and deployments. If you do not require a passthrough HBA, I would look at purchasing a regular RAID controller and install the OS this way.

We need to install the Vmware  ESXi and then install test applications servers like Windows, Linux (ubuntu) testing purposes. it may also include test VM like Netscaler, Vsphere etc..

Hi There,

I had this issue too, and it been solved !

I tried various of things, but what succeeded it's to use the Cisco Custom Iso for ESXi [it can be downloaded from VMWare site]

I tried 2-3 days to solve it, until one of my colleagues suggested it, and I was able to see the disks on the ESXi installation 

Hello,

I have to deploy VMWare ESXi on Cisco 12G Modular SAS HBA. There are 4 HDD into the UCS C220M5.

I see that I can't create Virtual Drive from CIMC interface, there is no option "Create Virtual Drive".

So as UCSC-SAS12GHBA is compatible on JBOD only.

When I mount VMWare ESXi iso to the server, do I select one of four HDD to install ESXi?

Best regards.

Christophe

thank you, this solved my problem

Greetings.

Wes is correct.

The HBAs don't have any raid (redundancy) capabilities, and are typically used where SDN or storage replication between multiple nodes is configured (think VMware's VSAN, Cisco HX, etc)

If this is just a single ESXi host, that some one inadvertently purchased the wrong controller for, then moving forward with only individual disks JBOD/AHCI mode, leaves you only 1 disk failure away from dataloss/outage.

You generally want to have a raid 1 mirror for the OS drives, and raid 5/6/10 for your datastore(s).

Besides the redundancy perspective, the read/write-back caching you get from the 1/2/4 GB superCap backed cache module greatly improves write performance for HDDs and many standard SDDs.

Thanks,

Kirk...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: