cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unplug one IO module live in PROD without interrupt!?

Sandemann
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have this issue that I got the error code F0864.

I have read that the workaround is to unplug the IO module and plug it in again and then do an reset (reboot) of the IO module!?

I wonder if I can do this without any interrupt to the environment ?

I have 2 IO modules in the chassis that is connected to different Fabric Interconnect, so I believe that I can do this, but I'm not sure:)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

Stig,

This can be safely done IF :

1-You have "Failover" enabled in the Service Profile of each blade. Select the server you want to check on> Go to the General tab > Click on the service profile name which is below the UUID of the server > Go to "Network" tab > choose the vNICs (one at the time) > Click on "Modify" at the bottom > and under " Fabric ID" field you should be able to see a box for "Enable Failover"   <<<< This will show you if you have failover at the hardware level for ethernet, for storage, you will need to have Multipath configured or redundancy on the way to SAN somehow (if connected to SAN)

2-If the above is not preseent, you might have configured redundancy through NIC binding (teaming) at the OS level

Bottom line is, as long as you have redundancy configured either through the Service Profile or OS, a IOM reset should not be disruptive, but is important to make sure there is redundancy configured before doing any hardware removal.

I hope this helps, but let me know if there are any more doubts.

-Kenny

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

Stig,

This can be safely done IF :

1-You have "Failover" enabled in the Service Profile of each blade. Select the server you want to check on> Go to the General tab > Click on the service profile name which is below the UUID of the server > Go to "Network" tab > choose the vNICs (one at the time) > Click on "Modify" at the bottom > and under " Fabric ID" field you should be able to see a box for "Enable Failover"   <<<< This will show you if you have failover at the hardware level for ethernet, for storage, you will need to have Multipath configured or redundancy on the way to SAN somehow (if connected to SAN)

2-If the above is not preseent, you might have configured redundancy through NIC binding (teaming) at the OS level

Bottom line is, as long as you have redundancy configured either through the Service Profile or OS, a IOM reset should not be disruptive, but is important to make sure there is redundancy configured before doing any hardware removal.

I hope this helps, but let me know if there are any more doubts.

-Kenny

Hi Stig,

One other thing to remember. It is best to leave that IOM module out of the chassis for at least 2-5 minutes, to allow all the capacitors, etc, to completely discharge, before re-seating in the chassis.

-Bruce

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: