cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading CPUs in UCS C200 M2(SFF)

jordipalet
Level 1
Level 1

I've an UCS C200 M2(SFF), which has 2x E5620 CPU.

According to the Cisco specs the maximum CPU is X5675, however, I see online sales for the same server fitted with X5680, so I bought two of them ...

However, the systems doesn't seem to recognize the CPU properly, and doesn't boot.

I can see the error:

CATERR_N: Processor sensor, Predictive Failure asserted

In the CIMC log.

I also tried to reset the CMOS with jumper J1E6, but didn't succeed because it seems the CPU must be booted to recognize that jumper ...

So any hints about how to "force" the system to recognize the CPU change ?

Some updated info about what are the higher performance CPUs that this system will recognize correctly ?

4 Replies 4

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would only expect the server to work with CPU that are on the spec sheet.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/servers-unified-computing/ucs-c-series-rack-servers/c200m2_sff_specsheet.pdf

I do not see the CPU you outlined, so while it may work, the behavior may be unexpected. There is no way to force the CPU recognition that I am aware of.

Yeah, I looked to that document, but the price difference with the X5680 was a few dollars and googling I found lots of sellers using this CPU ... so I wonder how they use that.

It doesn't really make too much sense that higher end CPU, using the same socket, same memory speed, same bus speed, etc., should not be recognized and work normally ... The chip set specs say this CPU is supported as well ...

Just wondering if you ever go the Cisco C200 M2 server working with the higher than recommended CPU speeds like the Xeon x5580 or x5590.   was thinking about doing that as well and just wondering if you got it working?

In my testing, unless I did something wrong, the maximum supported speed was 3.06 GHz, so I went for the X5675 (in my case used two processors, 6 cores each), and it is working fine since many months ago.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card