cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading ESXi 6.0 to 6.5

itguy1024
Level 1
Level 1

I want to make sure I have this right before I begin.

Our hosts are HXAF240C-M5SX's running HX 2.6.1d-26761 and ESXi 6.0.0

Our FIs are 6332's running firmware 3.2(3a) and the hosts are running 3.2(3a)

I have this downloaded to do the upgrade.
CISCO HX Custom Image for ESXi 6.5 U1 Patch 2 Offline Bundle

Is the "Upgrading ESXi" section of this documentation valid for my scenario?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/hyperconverged_systems/HyperFlex_HX_DataPlatformSoftware/HyperFlex_upgrade_guide/2_6/b_HyperFlex_Systems_Upgrade_Guide_2_6/b_HyperFlex_Systems_Upgrade_Guide_2_6_chapter_0110.html#task_FE0F49E10C0A429EA11E27232238...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That is the general procedure to upgrade an ESXi host. Since you mentioned these are HX nodes, I would follow the procedure documented specifically for those servers.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes this procedure would work for your cluster.

I would also look towards getting off 3.2.3a as it is deferred code.

Thanks Wes,

I also came across this procedure. Will this also work?

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/service-providers-documents/install-cisco-esxi-6-5-0-on-ucs/ta-p/3183682

That is the general procedure to upgrade an ESXi host. Since you mentioned these are HX nodes, I would follow the procedure documented specifically for those servers.

The steps seemed to work fine with the exception of this.

Ensure that the cluster becomes healthy between each ESXi upgrade.
stcli cluster storage-summary --detail

I get stcli: not found

The stcli commands should be run from a Storage Controller Virtual machine running on an ESXi host. They should not be run from an ESXi host cli.

Thanks that worked.

Maybe related or unrelated but now I am not able to access the Cisco HyperFlex Connect.

NetworkError when attempting to fetch resource. (TypeError: NetworkError when attempting to fetch resource.)

This happened once before, it seemed to fix itself after a day or so?

Related to that the Springpath VM on the host I updated is using 72GB of memory.

I don't know if I fixed my own problem or not but I rebooted the Springpath VM that had the HX Connect IP under it. That seemed to allow me back in the HX Connect.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card