Views
Helpful
Replies

Uplink Cisco UCS to 3850 stack and Nimble

Jason Flory
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone

I am in the process of standing up a new UCS environment.  Been reading a ton of documentation and am little confused about how the UCS will uplink our 3850 Stack. Another thing to note is we plan on uplinking our Nimble SAN to the FIs.

Since we will be uplinking the SAN to the FIs which has existing connections outside of UCS does this mean we need to be configured in switch mode or will end host mode be ok?  The SAN has to be reachable via our 3850 stack and UCS.

Our 3850 stack has 8 10 GB ports for uplinks and will be uplinking 2 x 10 GB uplinks from each FI.  Should I create 2 port channels for each FI?  Meaning FI-A uplinks to Switch member one with channel group 1 and FI-B uplinks to switch member 2 with channel group 2.  

Thanks

2 Replies 2

isaac anish
Level 1
Level 1

You have to configure the SAN uplink port,for connecting the SAN switch to ur FI.

Can you please share your connectivity diagram...

Upon further reading I found that Nimble requires dual subnets to configure storage directly attached to FIs,   The problem with this is we would have to reconfigure all existing hosts and possible cause some downtime in the process.  We have decided to keep the Nimble plugged into 10 GB ports on the 3850 and expand 10 GB ports with another card.  

The second question i was asking about was the uplink configuration from the FIs to 3850 and found that everything should be configured in channel group.   

I need to get some information on cross stack ether channel.  Meaning doing channel groups to across 2 members of the same stack.

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card