cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upstream Nexus Connectivity and vPC

thehxman101
Level 1
Level 1

Can I connect 2 6248 FIs to an upstream Nexus 5548 (Layer 2 daughter card) for ethernet/LAN connectivity and create a vPC as displayed in the attached pic?

3 Replies 3

Jeremy Waldrop
Level 4
Level 4

Yes, that is the recommended setup when uplinking UCS to Nexus 5k/7k. Must be LACP active mode port channels.

So I don't need the Layer 3 daughter card? I thought I would need a L3 port  channel from the Nexus 5k to 6248 FI's for vPC to work.

The UCS FIs are a disjointed L2 fabric.

I am also (would like to do) L3 load balancing out of vmware, however, the FI's are L2 disjointed switches so I would have to stick to the L2 load  balancing schemes (originating port or MAC hash ).

Thanks

L3 isn't required for vPC in fact you can't even create an L3 vPC. vPC is L2 only.

There isn't a data connection between the FIs but they are not disjointed because they are uplinked to the same Nexus 5ks/L2 domain. Dis-jointed in UCS terms is when you have 1 uplink going to one L2 domain and another going to an L2 domain that isn't connected to the first L2 domain.

An example would be production LAN and DMZ where DMZ isn't connected to prod LAN.

If designed/implemented properly the VMware ESXi hosts will have a vNIC on each UCS fabric interconnect. I have deployed load balacer VM appliances within ESX running on UCS without any issues.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: