Views
Helpful
Replies

USB 3.0 port in UCS C220m4

yitung
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I installed WIN server 2012 r2 into a c220m4. However, when I connect a USB3.0 SSD HDD to it and copy the files from USB to HDD, the speed is just like it connects as USB2.0.

Is there any driver I need to install in order to enable USB3.0 port ??

Since I used 8x SSD disks, RAID5 in c220m4 and my c220m4 spec is dual E5-2699 with 64GB RAM and UCSC-MRAID12G-4GB, I would expect the write speed can be like up to 200MB/s instead of 20MB/s.

I confirmed my USB SSD HDD is 3.0 capable because I copy the file to my Lenovo X1 notebook which can have 200MB/s throughput using the same USB HDD.

The file type is a single big file like 50GB.

Any clue??

Regards,

Chris.

4 Replies 4

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

I suspect the USB driver may be bundled with the 'chipset' drivers, but I need to confirm.

Please confirm you have the chipset drivers installed from the 'drivers ISO' from https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=286281345&softwareid=283853158&release=2.0(8b)&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest.

Path: ucs-cxxx-drivers.2.0.6a.iso\Windows\ChipSet\Intel\C220M4\W2K12R2\SetupChipset.exe

Also does Windows device manager currently show/reference USB3 related controller?

What HD/SDD brand and model is the USB 3 capable one?

Thanks,

Kirk

yitung
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kirk,

I believe I install it, otherwise, I should see a lot of "unknown devices" from device manager.

Please see the below screen capture. It seems that I don't see any USB3 root hub device showing up.

I guess it is driver issue, but surprisingly, I don't see any "unknown device" showing up...

I used Micron 400GB SATA 6gb/s SSD and ORICO USB 3.0 HDD closure.

In fact, customer tried different HDD brand and closure, the result is the same.

yitung
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kirk,

I found out why, it is because xHCI mode is disable. Seems it is default BIOS setting.

After enabling it, I can see USB hub (xHCI) and the speed is 350MB/s now.

Thanks a lot!!

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Chris.

Thanks for sorting this out.  I checked 4 servers in our lab and all had it enabled, so not sure if defaults for this changed in HUU versions somewhere along the way. 

For the benefit of others finding this post via search, the xHCI setting is found via F2, Advanced BIOS settings, under USB configuration.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card