Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

USC C220 M3 ESXi Can't see a raid5

Hello, i have a problem with UCS C220 M3 with 4 SATA drives and UCS-RAID-9266CV controller.

I try to install ESXi on this server.

- I have download Cisco customization *ISO ESXi image ( try different versions 5.0, 5.1,5.5)

- Setup CIMC, set ip parameters.

When the server booting - In system parameters press F2 select from Onboard SCU Storage SW Stack select Intel RSTe

Безымянный2.png

then made raid 5 via CTRL I

Безымянный3.png

Then I try download ESXi iso file on server via KVM Console. ESXi begin to install, then when selecting of Drives appears I can't see my storage there, ESXi can't recognize:

Безымянный.png

Then I try to disable Onboard SCU Storage Support, after this server can't see physical drives. It doesn't helped.

What could be wrong?

I hope for your help. Thank you.

6 Replies 6

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Vassiliy,

From the screenshot you provided, I believe you are using embedded raid controller to configure raid.  Unfortunately the embedded controller is not support by ESXi, so the installation won’t be able to see the raid volume that you created with this controller. In this case you will need to use a PCI or mezzanine base controller for the installation.

Embedded MegaRAID Controller

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C220/install/raid.html#wp1028426

Supported Mezzanine and PCI controllers

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

Manuel, thank for you answer.

I don't undestand where in BIOS  I can choose not Embedded controller. See first screenshot. Its all I have to choose.

If I choose Disable Onboard SCU Storage Support (as it is written in datasheet) for using PCI controller, server doesn't see physical drives.

Thank you

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The embedded controller is a piece of hardware (embedded) to the motherboard of his server to disable the embedded controller in the bios you will need to disable the option Onboard SCU Storage Support.  

If you remove the top cover of your server you will notice that the SAS cables are connected to two SAS port on the motherboard.  For this installation to work you need a PCI or Mezzanine base controller

Manuel, sorry for my importunity

I have open top cover, then I need unplug two SATA cables? I cant' see other PCI controller here.

You can see a foto below:

Hi Vassiliy,

From the screenshot it looks like you that you don't have another PCI base raid controller. You will need to buy one and installed on this server.  When you get the new controller, you can connect sas cables to the new controller.

pictures of a PCI raid card

SAS cables on your server

Manuel, thank you very much

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card