Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using Ucs central to push infra FW?

Hi,

we have just upgraded ucsCentral to 1.4.1a,

we are working on planning the update of all our ucsm infra bundle to 1.3.1 FW.

Any one doing this that could tell me if the process is the same as pushing the FW trough the automatic method in the UCSM gui?

I just want to make sure we are not going to drop the redundancy our infra.

So basically we have 6 domains and 160 servers.

I would also like to have some recommendation on how to deploy this.

ex: 1 at a time, all at the same time?

thanks

Stephane.

Stephane Beausoleil

virtualisation architect

CGI
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks that is very enlightening and a little scary...

we add not much issues with FI upgrade in the past it always worked well for us.

So I guess will give it a try. worst case I will use your solution to do the upgrade anyway.

Thank you very much Alex.

Stephane Beausoleil

virtualisation architect

CGI

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

thomsonac
Level 4
Level 4

The process is similar to performing an upgrade directly through UCSM although with even fewer "clicks."  That said, we had a couple of issues (at least on version 1.3(x)) because there is no way to "re-acknowledge" an upgrade if it's already in progress.

For instance, there was a bug a while back that keeps popping up if there is not enough space on the FI's filesystem the upgrade's space check will fail.  Typically this means manually deleting dump and/or log files and simply re-running the upgrade but the only way we were able to progress was to change the UCSM firmware policy back to local, run a standard UCSM upgrade, then swap the policy back to global.

We're abandoned trying to push FI upgrades through UCSC and at the end of the day I don't think we lose anything from it.  FI upgrades are still a relatively risky prospect that more often than not have issues (the number of bugs we find is really astounding).  Due to the problems we've had, we watch the upgrade real-time in UCSM anyway.

That said, we heavily use every other global policy through UCSC including host firmware policies (note more bugs to be found there) so definitely move in that direction.

Thanks that is very enlightening and a little scary...

we add not much issues with FI upgrade in the past it always worked well for us.

So I guess will give it a try. worst case I will use your solution to do the upgrade anyway.

Thank you very much Alex.

Stephane Beausoleil

virtualisation architect

CGI

Matthew Faiello
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi, Just to clarify....UCS Central Infra FW Upgrades are actually a "Pull" from the registered UCS Manager. UCS Central just tells the Domain to "Curl-Copy" the Infra Package down to the Domain, and then Unpack-Copy to the opposite FI.

UCS Central Infra-FW Upgrades also leverage the existing UCS Manager FW Auto-Install.

Host Firmware is accomplished using the Host FW Policies attached to Global SPs. Direct Endpoint Upgrades should be coming in a future UCS Central release.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: