Views
Helpful
Replies

VCON Question

K P SIM
Level 1
Level 1

Hi:

I am still puzzled by the following. It is related to the other question I posted, but there seems to be no answer from anyone, Cisco follks in particular.

q1.

If I have B250-M1 and it comes with 2 Adapter Slots, BUT if I just INSTALLED a single M81KR into the LEFT Mezzanine Slot or PCIe 0, what will the UCSManager show me?

Will it show as Interface Card #1 or #2?

q2.

The same question if I INSTALLED that same M81KR into the RIGHT Mezzanine Slot or PCIe 1, what will the UCSM show me?

q3.

If I select UCSManager's Equipment, Chassis, Server, says Server 1 Tab, then click on General tab follows by Connection Details option, I saw:

Managing Instance A for some servers and Managing Instance B for other servers, WHAT DOES IT MEAN HERE?

Does it mean that if I see Managing Instance A, then it signifies that the LEFT Mezzanine Slot or PCIe 0 HAS THE M81KR being installed? Managing Instance B means that the M81KR is being installed into RIGHT Mezzanine Slot or PCIe 1?

Thanks.

SiM

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

KP,

Answers inline Red

Regards,

Robert

q1.

If I have B250-M1 and it comes with 2 Adapter Slots, BUT if I just INSTALLED a single M81KR into the LEFT Mezzanine Slot or PCIe 0, what will the UCSManager show me?

[Robert] If you have a Mezz card installed it in the left slot (facing the Chassis) it will show as Adapter 1.  Mezz cards in the right slot will detect as Adapter 2.

q2.

The same question if I INSTALLED that same M81KR into the RIGHT Mezzanine Slot or PCIe 1, what will the UCSM show me?

[Robert] See above

q3.

If I select UCSManager's Equipment, Chassis, Server, says Server 1 Tab, then click on General tab follows by Connection Details option, I saw:

Managing Instance A for some servers and Managing Instance B for other servers, WHAT DOES IT MEAN HERE?

[Robert] Managing instance has nothing to do with Data path connections.  This strictly details which FI the Managment (KVM) communication is pinned to.  The Managing Instance (as you would have seen in the GUI/CLI) represents the FI where IP NAT of external IP address to Internal Blade address happens. This helps balance the Management traffic between both FI's so a single 1G management interface is less likely to hit congestion when you're mapping vMedia etc.

Does it mean that if I see Managing Instance A, then it signifies that the LEFT Mezzanine Slot or PCIe 0 HAS THE M81KR being installed? Managing Instance B means that the M81KR is being installed into RIGHT Mezzanine Slot or PCIe 1?

[Robert] See above.

Thanks.

SiM

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

KP,

Answers inline Red

Regards,

Robert

q1.

[Robert] If you have a Mezz card installed it in the left slot (facing the Chassis) it will show as Adapter 1.  Mezz cards in the right slot will detect as Adapter 2.

q2.

[Robert] See above

q3.

[Robert] Managing instance has nothing to do with Data path connections.  This strictly details which FI the Managment (KVM) communication is pinned to.  The Managing Instance (as you would have seen in the GUI/CLI) represents the FI where IP NAT of external IP address to Internal Blade address happens. This helps balance the Management traffic between both FI's so a single 1G management interface is less likely to hit congestion when you're mapping vMedia etc.

[Robert] See above.

Thanks.

SiM

Robert:

appreciate you jumping in again as I am trying to get more knowledgeable with Cisco UCS. I still love it! A lot of people will tell me UCS is very easy, but depends on 1's willingness to go deeper and delve into the internal, it can be daunting but rewarding esp. with your helps.

Cheers.

SiM or KP

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card