cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VIC disconnection

mdrudge
Level 1
Level 1

I have a B200 M4 with a UCSB-VIC-M83-8P that lost its connections all of a sudden.  I reacknowledged the blade and all looks good now, but I'm trying to figure out what happened.  What kind of action would cause this?  I don't expect anyone to solve the issue from this, but I'm hoping to have some ideas of where to look.  Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I have seen a few cases with multiple VICs where only one of the VICs crashed/restarted, and the vnics pinned out non-impacted VIC continued to work fine, while the vnics pinned out the reset card were down.

For that you would want to generate Chassis tech support (if Blade), or rack server tech support from the UCSM's admin, techsupport area.  The adapter logs will list reboots, uptime, that should match to your OS nic events.

You'll probably want to open a TAC case.

Kirk...

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

A OS crash can show the VIFs paths down.

There are other less likely scenarios including VIC card firmware level crash, etc.

Would require looking at a log support bundle to confirm.

Did you happen to check the server console when in the 'down' state?

Thanks,

Kirk...

Kirk, thanks for your response.  This was definitely different than the OS going down.  Since this blade had two VICs, the OS was still up but generating errors, and the blade could ping but couldn't login to AD, etc.  I then rebooted, and it wouldn't come back at all and didn't even have a display until I re-acknowledged the blade.

A VIC card firmware crash sounds intriguing.  As far as I can tell, the VIC's hardware is ok, and there are now no faults.

I have seen a few cases with multiple VICs where only one of the VICs crashed/restarted, and the vnics pinned out non-impacted VIC continued to work fine, while the vnics pinned out the reset card were down.

For that you would want to generate Chassis tech support (if Blade), or rack server tech support from the UCSM's admin, techsupport area.  The adapter logs will list reboots, uptime, that should match to your OS nic events.

You'll probably want to open a TAC case.

Kirk...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card