cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VMWare NPIV seems to not work with Cisco UCS Infrastructure !

mikelpham88
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

My system has a configuration like below:

• Blade Server: UCS B200 M2 (Model: N20-B6625-1) with mezzazine card M81KR
  • Host OS: VMWare ESXi 5.0.0 - 623680
  • Storage Connection: Blade Server --> Chassis --> Extender (FEX) --> Fabric Interconnect (UCS 6248UP) --> SAN Switch (Cisco MDS 9100) --> SAN Storage (EMC VNX5300)

Now we intend to implement a RDM Hard Disk via NPIV feature for a Virtual Machine(VM) on the Host Blade. Up to now, we have:

• Configured the NPIV setting of the VM and the VM displayed the generated WWPN and WWNN (NPIV status is Assigned)
  • On the SAN Switch (Cisco MDS 9100), we have checked that feature NPIV is enabled (by command #show npiv status)
  • LUN is created on EMC Storage

However, during the process of implementation, there are some issues as below:

1. When we reboot the VM and check the /var/log/vmkernel.log, there is no information about NPIV event (search the log by the word "npiv")
  2. SSH login to the ESXi host and cat /proc/scsi --> there is only 1 folder named mptsas (/proc/scsi/mptsas), not like to be an folder which represents an HBA card (Emulex: lpfc, QLogic: qla)
  3. According to the URL: 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/storage-networking/mds-9500-series-multilayer-directors/white_paper_c11_586100.html

Deployment Procedure --> 1. Enable NPIV on the Cisco MDS 9000 Family switch: We checked that the Fibre Channel license on Cisco UCS Manager had only activated 1 package ETH_PORT_ACTIVATION. The output is as below:

UCS A/ license # show usage detail

License instance: ETH_PORT_ACTIVATION_PKG
    Scope: A
    Default: 12
    Total Quant: 12
    Used Quant: 12
    State: License Ok
    Peer Count Comparison: Matching
    Grace Used: 0

License instance: ETH_PORT_ACTIVATION_PKG
    Scope: B
    Default: 12
    Total Quant: 12
    Used Quant: 12
    State: License Ok
    Peer Count Comparison: Matching
    Grace Used: 0

Meanwhile, the topic suggests that the Fabric Interconnect is licensed the FC_FEATURES_PKG Yes --> Did we lack any FC license for the NPIV to work correctly ??

4. On the SAN Switch, use command #show fcns database which lists all the WWPN of all the vHBA Host’s Port, NPV WWN of Fabric Interconnect, WWN of EMC Storage Processor (SP) HBA without the NPIV WWPN of the VM (that we generated before)

5. Although SAN Switch does not display the NPIV WWPN of the VM, we still try zoning this NPIV WWPN to the same zone with the physical vHBA of the parent ESXi host and the Storage SP port manually; like the following thread below:

https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2011/11/npiv-n-port-id-virtualization.html

“FC Switch Configuration

On the FC switch, you will now have to create zones from the VM’s NPIV WWPN to the Storage Array ports WWPN. However, the VM’s NPIV WWPNs are currently not active, so they do not appear in the nameserver on the FC switch. Therefore they will need to be added manually. Once they are manually added to the FC switch, the WWPNs can then be placed in zones with the WWPN of the Storage Array ports.”

However, on the EMC Storage Management Console, the new expected initiator (NPIV WWPN of VM) does not appear. SO that we cannot assign RDM Lun to VM via NPIV feature.

In conclusion, we are wondering that:

• Whether the Cisco UCS supports VMWare NPIV feature ?
  • And if our infrastructure supports the NPIV feature, are there any misconfiguration in our step ?

I’m highly appreciated for any suggested idea for this case, thank you so much !!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Mike !

I got the confirmation that indeed, NPV on VM (RDM) for VMware is NOT supported, and is NOT working. The corresponding fnic driver has NOT this functionality is blocking the flogi. As I mentioned, this feature is available under Hyper-V !

Walter.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Do you see any strange entries in the MDS log file: show logging log ?

I have seen long  time ago situations, where certain pwwn prefixes were rejected by MDS. Don't know about 28:16........

Walter.

HI Walter,

I'm willing to send you the MDS Log file as the attachement.

We have investigate the MDS log but there aren't any log information related to WWPN event although we have rebooted the VM (with NPIV assigned) several times between 09-October until NOW !

2015 Oct  9 10:13:14 VPCP-PRI-SANA %AUTHPRIV-3-SYSTEM_MSG: pam_aaa:Authenticatio
n failed for user admin from 10.9.249.97 - sshd[24873]
2015 Oct  9 10:13:14 VPCP-PRI-SANA %DAEMON-3-SYSTEM_MSG: error: PAM: Authenticat
ion failure for admin from 10.9.249.97 - sshd[24870]
2015 Oct  9 10:13:19 VPCP-PRI-SANA %AUTHPRIV-3-SYSTEM_MSG: pam_aaa:Authenticatio
n failed for user admin from 10.9.249.97 - sshd[24870]
2015 Oct  9 10:43:02 VPCP-PRI-SANA %AUTHPRIV-3-SYSTEM_MSG: pam_aaa:Authenticatio
n failed for user admin from 10.9.249.90 - sshd[25178]
2015 Oct  9 11:31:55 VPCP-PRI-SANA %PORT-5-IF_UP: %$VSAN 66%$ Interface fc1/7 is
 up in mode F   
[7m--More--[m
2015 Oct 12 08:26:27 VPCP-PRI-SANA %AUTHPRIV-3-SYSTEM_MSG: pam_aaa:Authenticatio
n failed for user admin from 10.9.249.22 - sshd[24649]
2015 Oct 12 08:26:27 VPCP-PRI-SANA %DAEMON-3-SYSTEM_MSG: error: PAM: Authenticat
ion failure for admin from 10.9.249.22 - sshd[24645]
2015 Oct 13 04:26:07 VPCP-PRI-SANA %AUTHPRIV-3-SYSTEM_MSG: pam_aaa:Authenticatio
n failed for user admin from 10.9.249.98 - sshd[1298]
2015 Oct 13 04:26:07 VPCP-PRI-SANA %DAEMON-3-SYSTEM_MSG: error: PAM: Authenticat
ion failure for admin from 10.9.249.98 - sshd[1297]

VPCP-PRI-SANA# exit

This is a nested NPV configuration, and I remember that this is not supported ?

http://www.ccierants.com/2013/06/ccie-dc-nested-npv.html

Nevertheless, I would try to change the initator pwwn; this is what I was referring to

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/storage-networking/mds-9500-series-multilayer-directors/white_paper_c11_586100.html

Note on WWN Pool 10

Incorrect choice of WWN format will result in login failure on Cisco MDS 9000 Family switches. The recommended format for the WWN for a vHBA is 20:00:00:25:B5:xx:yy:zz. Users can use the last three octets for sequential numbering and other information. For instance,

xx = 0 indicates that this is a WWN (not a pWWN)

xx = 01 indicates that the vHBA is associated with fabric interconnect SAN A

xx = 02 indicates that the vHBA is associated with fabric interconnect SAN B

yy:zz = Sequential numbers for the vHBA

The above format will also aid in the tracing and troubleshooting of server login problems.

HI Walter,

Did you mean that we have to change the NPIV WWN format or that of physical vHBA of the host ?

To make thing clearer, we send you some pic of our configuration:

1. WWN of 2 physical vHBAs on the ESXi host (these WWNs are generated automatically from Pool)

•  vHBA0: 
    • WWPN: 20:A1:00:25:B5:00:00:5E
    • WWNN: 20:00:00:25:B5:00:00:5E
  • ​vHBA1:
    • WWPN: 20:B1:00:25:B5:00:00:5E
    • WWNN: 20:00:00:25:B5:00:00:5E

vHBA0 WWN

2. WWN of NPIV on Virtual Machine:

• WWNN: 28:16:00:0C:29:00:00:01
  • WWPN: 28:16:00:0C:29:00:00:02

Would you mean this WWN format needs to be changed to 20:00:00:25..... format ?

3. We also send you the output of show fcns database command on MDS SAN Switch as below:

Actually, MDS SAN Switch can recognize the WWN of Fabric Interconnecte and all that of physical vHBA of every ESXi host except the NPIV's WWN. 

Yes, I mean the pwwn of the VM's ! Just use a prefix of 20:......

First you should see a flogi entry, and then you can do the zoning.

Thanks Walter for your help,

But what a pity, the WWN of NPIV in VM cannot be customized because the VSphere genenerates it automatically based on the VMWare WWN OUI.

You can check the Vendor WWN OUI via the following URL:

http://wintelguy.com/index.pl

the result shows that the WWN of the NPIV of VM - 28:16:00:0C:29:00:00:01

is belong to VMWare Corp, and poorly we cannot change it to aa:bb:00:25:B5:cc:dd:ee  Format that belongs to Cisco Corp

Otherwise, our final purpose is to create NPIV on VM and the Windows Server 2008 OS must recognizes new device but nothing works -- > Maybe i have to ask VMWare Community to have some more ideas. 

I'm very exhausted when getting stuck in this case !

I you have any futhermore clue, don't hesitate to reply me on this thread, i'm very appreciated for you useful information :)

After all, I would open a TAC case, and get hopefully the confirmation that it is supported and works. I know with 100% guarantee that it works for Hyper-V, where this feature was used for cluster setup at the VM level.

Microsoft Clustering on VMware vSphere: Guidelines for supported configurations (1037959)

Dear Walter,

thank you for your very help.

So now will you open a TAC case on VMWare to get the confirmation that: Whether NPIV feature given by VMWare ESXi is compatible to Cisco UCS infrastructure ??

If you will do so, please notify me the URL so that we can accompany you in that thread !

Sincerely !

Hi Mike !

I got the confirmation that indeed, NPV on VM (RDM) for VMware is NOT supported, and is NOT working. The corresponding fnic driver has NOT this functionality is blocking the flogi. As I mentioned, this feature is available under Hyper-V !

Walter.

Dear Walter,

Bored to hear that but i'm still very appreciated for your help and confirmation.

Your statement help me saving many time so that i can think about another solution for my problem.

Best regard !

Mikel :)

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

Did you activate the zoneset after you added the new zones?

The license should not be a problem as 2nd Gen FIs use Unified Ports that can be configured as Eth or FCand FC does not require an additional license.

If you reboot one of the servers that face this issue, press F6 and use the commands here (lunlist and lunmap) : https://angryjesters.wordpress.com/2012/01/05/cisco-vic-boot-from-san-troubleshooting/

Paste the output here and we can try to see what you get from there...

-Kenny

Hi Kenny,

• We can confirm that we activated zoneset after added the new zones
  • Upto now, we have not rebooted the ESXi host server yet but we only restarted the VM (with NPIV assigned) serveral time to generate event log in the ESXi or MDS switch. When we SSH to the Fabric Interconnect and check some info about (lun list, lun map), the output is empty as below:

VPCP-PRI-UCS-A# connect adapter 2/5/1

adapter 2/5/1 # connect

adapter 2/5/1 (top):1# attach-fls

adapter 2/5/1 (fls):1# vnic

---- ---- ---- ------- -------

vnic ecpu type state   lif   

---- ---- ---- ------- -------

19   1    fc   active  16

20   2    fc   active  17

adapter 2/5/1 (fls):2# login 19

adapter 2/5/1 (fls):3# lunmap 19

adapter 2/5/1 (fls):4# lunlist 19

adapter 2/5/1 (fls):5# login 20

adapter 2/5/1 (fls):6# lunmap 20

adapter 2/5/1 (fls):7# lunlist 20

adapter 2/5/1 (fls):8#

We send you the total output log. 

I would remind you that our final purpose is to deploy the NPIV feature on the VM to access RDM LUN but until now,  this NPIV feature seems to not work properly. The physical vHBA of the Blade B200 M2 is still working fine with storage (ESXi host still have datastore which is mounted from EMC Storage)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card