Views
Helpful
Replies

VSM as VM in vSphere or inside Nexus 1010

Calin C.
Level 5
Level 5

Hello all,

I have a question regarding the difference from VSM built inside a Virtual Machine in VMware versus the one inside Nexus 1010 in terms of communication with vCenter.

According to this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/sw/4_0/troubleshooting/configuration/guide/trouble_17system.html

;Each VSM uses a unique extension key to communicate with vCenter Server and perform operations on a DVS.

Extension Key

The VSM uses the extension key when communicating with the vCenter Server. Each VSM has its own unique extension key, such as Cisco_Nexus_1000V_32943215

Use the show vmware vc extension-key command to find the extension key of the VSM. It is also listed in the .xml file.

The extension key registered on the vCenter Server can be found through the MOB.

The same extension key cannot be used to create more than one DVS on the vCenter Server.

Is this true also for a VSM hosted inside Nexus 1010?

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

abbharga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Calin,

The extension key is required per VSM either hosted on the Nexus1010 or as a VM.

./Abhinav

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

abbharga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Calin,

The extension key is required per VSM either hosted on the Nexus1010 or as a VM.

./Abhinav

Thanks for quick answer.

In this case I have some additional question. In case of a VSM in VM and the vCenter in the same switched area it was easy to maintain L2 connection.

In case of Nexus 1010 VSM I might have to deploy it in a different area, so the connection from the vCenter to Nexus 1010 VSM will be a L3 connection.

My point is, do I need to have mandatory L2 communication between VSM and vCenter or L3 will be also OK as long I have reachability. I read a dozen papers and I got a little bit confused. I remember that L3 would be just fine, but I want to confirm before starting to design.

Thanks!

VSM talks to vCenter through the standard RESTful API (HTTPS). That traffic can be routed. You do not need a L2 connection between VSM and vCenter. IP connectivity is a necessary and sufficient condition.

For VSM to VEM communications, L2 (Control and Packet VLANs) is arguably simpler to deploy than L3. This implies L3 is also possible.

Thank you both.

Since I cannot give you both "Correct Answer" one will get it and the other will have a 5 stars

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card