cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the function of the board controller?

robob
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

It seems that both B series as well C series have board controllers. What is the purpose of the board controller?

We have the BMC/CIMC to provide management of the server and read the sensors. The CMC to operate as the "control plane" of the IOM in the chassis. But what does the board controller do and why cant I not see it before M3 version on the blades?

I have read a couple of people saying that the board controller is the same as the BMC/CIMC, but why would then cisco write things like: "Once the CIMC firmware is upgraded, upgrade the board controller."

And I also found this: "Cisco UCS C-Series M3 rack servers have board controller firmware which controls many server functions such as eUSBs and I/O connectors. You can activate board controller firmware on these rack servers." <- Is that not the BMCs function? If not, why is this function not usable in the M2 blades?

Best regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Justin Welch
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

The board controller and CIMC are two different components. Be aware the BMC/CIMC are the same from a terminology standpoint.

The board controllers function is to regulate voltage to the DIMMs to avoid ECC/UECC errors. As far as why was it not in the m1/m2 line (i believe the b230 m2s have board controllers), the m3 line is when the enhancement was added.

I hope this helps,

Justin

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Justin Welch
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

The board controller and CIMC are two different components. Be aware the BMC/CIMC are the same from a terminology standpoint.

The board controllers function is to regulate voltage to the DIMMs to avoid ECC/UECC errors. As far as why was it not in the m1/m2 line (i believe the b230 m2s have board controllers), the m3 line is when the enhancement was added.

I hope this helps,

Justin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card