cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

what is ucs backup state?

flove2001
Level 1
Level 1

i want to know ucs backup all configration vs full state different, that is full state Completely contain all configration ? what means state in the word of full state?  i understand this is use full state include the service profile map to servers relationship,but use all config need rebuild relationship,is that ture?

for example ,if i config service profile A and assign to server A. now , backup full configration XML file and full state A.bin to local  ,that's name is A.xml, after ,i modify service profile A and assign to server B in ucs .

last , if i use import A.XML restore my ucs. that result is service profile A remain relationship to server B are not change???????? but if i use A.bin

recovery that result is service profile A and assign to server A.?

1 Reply 1

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

Definitions can be found at https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/ucs-manager/GUI-User-Guides/Admin-Management/3-1/b_Cisco_UCS_Admin_Mgmt_Guide_3_1/b_Cisco_UCS_Admin_Mgmt_Guide_3_1_chapter_01001.html

Full state, is a complete backup of everything, and can only be restored/applied from the CLI typically from the console when config has been erased, or FI replaced, etc.

An 'all config' backup consists of logical and system backups, both of which can be run individually.

It would be a good idea to get full state, all config, and individual logical and system backups as part of your backup strategy, as you may want to restore individual items without having to do the entire config restore.

For example an 'oops, I deleted  a service profile/service profile template' moment can be resolved by individually restoring the 'logical' config.  If you had recently changed your UCSM VIP IP address or SSL certificates, then you wouldn't want to impact your 'system' settings just to recover a portion of your 'logical' config.

Thanks,

Kirk

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card