cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why a SAN switch can see vHBA WWPNs but not WWNN?

robin99
Level 1
Level 1

I have setup UCSM but the SAN switches (EMC) could only see all the WWPN on each server's vHBA, not the WWNN. They are all UCS B200M2 model. I saw the WWNNs are already assign to all service profile as shown in the storage tab.

Has anyone encountered this before? I am digging my head for more than 2 hours but no clue.

Rebooted the blades, disassociate/reassociate blades, re-ack blades, unbind/rebind vHBA templates on the server's vHBA had been done but no luck

Appreciate for any help here.

kind regards,

3 Replies 3

simon.geary
Level 1
Level 1

This sounds normal as when performing zoning you would only usually ever use the WWPN. If all you want to do is zone the blades to the storage you do not need to see the WWNN logging in to the SAN switch.

rewilkin
Level 1
Level 1

Simon is correct. In UCSM is where you would only see the WWNN under the storage tab. You are only zoning the WWPN. If I may ask, what reason would you need to see the WWNN if the paths to the HBA is being seen?

Just curious?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

The SAN engineer could not see the hosts inside UCS from his switch for zoning setup. This is what I had been told. I end up opening TAC case and TAC could not find any config problem at UCS side either. Will check on the SAN switch setting on Monday. Thanks for all your feedback..

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card