Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows Server 2k3 on UCS B-200 M2?

lorenzobexer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

just a quick question. We have UCS B-200 M2 servers with Palo adapter and need to setup a Windows 2003 R2 64 Bit server for a customer.

The OS compatibility matrix states, that Windows 2003 R2 won't run on B200 M2 Servers. However in the Adapter compatibility matrix, on the row with the LSI adapter, it says that the adapter driver is compatible to Windows 2k3 32 Bit on B200 M2 blades.

This was a little irritating.

Can someone confirm that Windows Server 2k3 64 Bit is incompatible to B200 M2 blade servers and maybe also explain why?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Lorenz,

[Updated]

I have confirmed that the B200 M2's will not be supported on any version of Windows 2003.

The reason Palo show's driver support for 2003 is for the B200 M1.  Due to the age and EOL notice of the operating system it was not deemed necessary to support this legacy OS on new hardware going forward.

That being said I have seen it "work" in customer deployments, but understand this is not "supported" by TAC or Cisco.

Regards,

Robert

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Lorenz,

[Updated]

I have confirmed that the B200 M2's will not be supported on any version of Windows 2003.

The reason Palo show's driver support for 2003 is for the B200 M1.  Due to the age and EOL notice of the operating system it was not deemed necessary to support this legacy OS on new hardware going forward.

That being said I have seen it "work" in customer deployments, but understand this is not "supported" by TAC or Cisco.

Regards,

Robert

That's the answer i expected, thank you for clearing that up for me.

Best Regards

Robert:

In this case, will W2K8's 32BIT variant be supported either as a Guest O/S underneath a Hypervisor and Bare-Metal in B200-M2 and other blades or even C-Class Rack Servers?

Appreciate it!

Sim

Our support concerns only stem to the baremetal OS - including a Hypervisor.  Anything installed as a guest OS is supported at the Hypervisor level, which we have no bearing on.

For a complete list of supported OSes, please see the Interop Matrix for each platform.

B Series: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/interoperability/matrix/r_hcl_B_rel1.42.pdf

C Series: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/interoperability/matrix/r_hcl_C200_rel1.32.pdf

Regards,

Robert

Robert:

I am aware of the Interoperability Support Matrix. there is no mention of W2K8 32BIT.

So is W2K8-32BIT being supported on Bare-Metal B- and C-class Cisco servers? Yes or No.

Thanks.

We only list "supported" OSes.

If it's not listed, it's not supported.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card