Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

on HOld music not playing - SIP provided

I have a cisco device SPA525G2 and I am not able to get the hold music it play. My SIP provider is saying that when I press the hold button on my IP phone, it is not sending a "reinvite packet" which is used to trigger their onhold music.
On my softphone app on mobile, when I press hold, it correctly plays their music.

I am not using the cisco server manager thing, as I dont really want to have a server and my SIP provides it but in unsure of how to set it to make it work.
callcentric is my SIP provider

3 Replies 3

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

My SIP provider is saying that when I press the hold button on my IP phone, it is not sending a "reinvite packet" which is used to trigger their onhold music.

Your provider should not say something like it because he doesn't know what your phone is sending or not. Your provider may claim the packet has not been received. It's not the same. Packet may not be received because it has not been sent (phone issue) or because it has been lost in transit (network issue, like firewall, NAT or so).

Now it's your turn. Capture SIP packets related to a call and check existence (and content) of the (re-)invite packet. It will help you (or us if you will disclose data) to narrow issue cause.

Ah I see. That makes sense. They only know what they recieve, correct? They
do not know what has been sent, correct?

So in my case my setup is IP Phone > my router > SIP Server.

How exactly do I view the packets sent to the SIP Server?
1. Is there a way I can login to the Cisco Phone local IP, and download a
log of some sort?
2. Do I have to install some kind of "packet sniffer?" (If this is even the
correct term) on my router which views all the traffic of cisco.
3. Is there a program that I can install on my windows PC in which I type
the IP address of my phone and my router, and it views the packets between
the two?
4. Should I upload screen shots of my entire IP phone setup to see if maybe
I am missing something? Or upload a log?

1. Phone holds no log by self. It sends log messages over network, so they can be received elsewhere:

Debug and syslog Messages from the SPA3xx, SPA5xxG, SPA9xx, & WIP310 IP Phones

2. If you can run/install sniffer on router, then it will be great. But it depend on router model - and cheap routers doesn't support something like it at all.

3. It depends on LAN topology. There's great tool called Wireshark but it can't capture packets not delivered to the PC. Standard network switch (it's network component you didn;t mentioned in your description of network topology) doesn't send packets to the computer that's not part of conversation. So you may capture nothing. Ask your home network guru for help.

4. Log will help. It may (but may not) be enough even with no captured SIP packets. Please note that log may contain information like IP addresses, calling and called number, provider's proxy IP address as well as login name. It contain no passwords.