cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Both H323 and MGCP protocol on same router configured for NFAS

yavuz_sab
Level 1
Level 1

Before i left the TAC start of the year, i knew the only way to use NFAS with CallManager is to use an IOS-based gateway in H.323 (not MGCP) mode. Does this statement still stand?

Basically i want my 2851 to be hybrid using both MGCP and H323 on the same and i am pretty sure this supported and should work, right?

Currently i have my T1 controllers configured for "pri-group timeslots 1-24 service mgcp" to backhaul with the CM, but originally with my H323 gateway i had "pri-group timeslots 1-24 nfas_d primary nfas_int 0 nfas_group 1" configured and working, but can i still have this command configured to work with both H323 and MGCP mode on 2851 with CM??

Any information will be helpful.

Thanks,

Yavuz

8 Replies 8

Chester Rieman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don't think CCM currently supports nfas with mgcp.

Well thats my impression as well. But why under the T1 controller we have the option "pri-group timeslots 1-24 nfas_d backup nfas_int 1 nfas_group 1 service mgcp"? does'nt this mean we can have the ISDN PRI Backhauled with Callmanager?

Could we double check this please. I want to some how have this work with both MGCP and H323 mode.

- Yavuz

There are other controllers that do support this such as the PGW or BTS, that's why the command is there.

It means that IOS supports this, callmanager does not have NFAS support though.

Hope this helps.

Hello,

How you understand.

CCM process L3 ISDN messages (Q931) with MGCP PRI

backhaul, so GW terminate q921. With h323 GW also terminate ISDN Q931 and start h323 state machine.

From this point of view you couldn't configure one

PRI interface in both mode. How I understand problem? may be I am wrong.

But I suppose that if you have two controllers,

this is possible one of them configure like MGCP

backhaul and another like h323.

You could do this if you have 2 controllers, but why use H323 on one and MGCP on the other, you loose the benefit of nfas either way. If you must do nfas, just make it an H323 GW. If you have to use MGCP, they will have to be seperate PRIs, each with it's own dchan.

Hope this helps.

Correct does not make sense, you still loose the function of NFAS. It really sucks for Callmanager not to support NFAS with MGCP or H323. Plus i found out by our local SE that the BU team, dont even have this feature on the roadmap.

I guess our only option is to change providers.

Thanks,

Yavuz

Here is what I am getting:

controller T1 0/0/0

framing esf

clock source internal

linecode b8zs

pri-group timeslots 1-24 nfas_d primary nfas_int 0 nfas_group 1 service mgcp

!

controller T1 0/0/1

framing esf

clock source internal

linecode b8zs

pri-group timeslots 1-24 nfas_d backup nfas_int 1 nfas_group 1 service mgcp

A(config)#interface serial 0/0/0:23

A(config-if)#isdn bind-l3 ccm-manager

ISDN does not support backhaul while a backup NFAS interface is configured

A(config-if)#

This is crazy. Please help. Thanks.

Faz

Don't know how to put it more plainly than this:

Callmanager does not support NFAS with MGCP

Either use 2 PRIS each with it's own dchan

OR

Use H323.

Hope this helps,

Chester

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: