cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CME 8.x - 6921 Phones not downloading loads.. with a twist.

jkittle99
Level 4
Level 4

I'm using CME 8.x on a 3800 ISR, and a couple of 6921 phones.  Two of them have ~8.5.3 code, the others have 9.x code (phone loads).  If I'm understanding things correctly, the phone should be downloading the published phone load via TFTP from CME if what it has already installed doesn't match (either an upgrade or downgrade).

So here's what I'm seeing.

The scenario:

The phone load files exist in a folder on the flash. (/phone).

The TFTP server is configured with the appropriate information on the loads (and aliasing the path)

tftp-server flash:/phone/BOOT69xx.0-0-0-14.zz alias BOOT69xx.0-0-0-14.zz
tftp-server flash:/phone/DSP69xx.0-0-0-3.zz alias DSP69xx.0-0-0-3.zz
tftp-server flash:/phone/SCCP69xx.8-5-3-0.zz alias SCCP69xx.8-5-3-0.zz

TFTP is working fine, I've tested it with a TFTP client. 

Telephony services is configured with the name of the load load 6921 SCCP69xx.8-5-3-0

telephony-service

load 6921 SCCP69xx.8-5-3-0

The ephones are configured to use a common ephone template, and are configured as the proper model.

The problem:

The phone will power on, request the CNF files, request the SCCP*.loads file, and then just when I think it'll download the actual load itself (.zz file), the phone registers, and that's it.  Nothing I do seems to force the phone to kick into upgrade mode. It just jumps straight into SCCP registration.

What gives? I don't see anything that I'm doing wrong here.   I've tried deleting and recrating the CNF files, no dice. I've tried resetting the phone to factory defaults, no dice .Watching wireshark, it's asking for and receiving the SCCP69xx.8-5-3-0.loads file (which has the correct .zz files listed in it - this is all stock CME stuff) but those .zz files are never requested or transferred via TFTP. 

Would love some thoughts on this.

1 Reply 1

Steven Holl
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What firmware are you upgrading from that going to 8.5.3 is failing on?  Certain versions of firmware need a step upgrade to go to 8.5.3.  Try upgrading the devices to 8.5.2 first, and then go to 8.5.3.

What does 'debug tftp event' show?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: